Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Principal Electrical Engineer
NGIS is currently seeking an experienced Principal Electrical Engineer to provide leadership to our Missile Products team in our Plymouth, MN office.
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
This position requires experience in applying Electrical Engineering practices to all phases of military programs for Fuzing applications, including:
- Lead a team of Electrical Engineers through development ensuring processes and procedures are followed, technical tradeoffs are considered, design requirements identified and understood, milestone adherence and change management.
- Performs research, design, and development in such areas as power conditioning electronics, analog circuit design, digital circuit design, FPGA design, and other general electrical engineering design functions.
- Applies research to the planning, design, development and testing of electrical circuits for use in military applications.
- Is capable of generating design schematics preferably with experience using CAD tools such as Mentor Graphics.
- Develops specifications for and performs selection of components for use in electrical circuits for military applications. Utilizes electrical CAD tools such as Mentor System Vision for circuit performance prediction in aid of circuit development.
- Oversees board layout and provides pertinent design factors for first pass success on circuit realization.
- Compiles and analyzes test data to determine effect of design on electrical circuits for military applications.
- Possess strong analytical skills to enable risk analyses and management throughout program.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills to work effectively within a development team to understand system level interdependencies that impact requirements and design constraints.
- Preferably an understanding of Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) disciplines; including design for assembly / design for manufacturing (DFA/DFM).
- Requires a minimum BSEE or BSCE +7 years or an MSEE +5 years from an accredited college.
- Experience in technical leadership of a complex program requiring the coordination of engineering work effort.
- Design experience in the areas of analog, digital, power conditioning, PWB/CCA design and evaluation, electronics packaging, processors and FPGAs. History of leading technical activities.
- Experience in modeling and simulation of systems at various levels of integration.
- Prefer experience in developing high reliability electronics to meet military environments such as extreme temperature conditions, high G shock loads, vibration, and extended storage times.
- Position may require occasional travel (up to 10%) to meet with various customers, in both government and industry, and to interface with suppliers.
- Able to obtain a DoD Secret Clearance
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively to cross functional team members.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced, rapidly changing, short turn-around environment
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years