Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Sr. Mechanical Engineering Job Description
This Senior Mechanical Integration & Test Engineer position is responsible for leading mechanical spacecraft integration & test activities at Northrup Grumman’s Gilbert Az. Campus. The prospective candidate will provide Mechanical Engineering support to cross functional departments. Ideal candidate shall possess a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering discipline, plus 4 years minimum of related experience in the aerospace industry and have an active top secret clearance. US Citizenship required. Candidate must possess demonstrated technical leadership skills, including excellent interpersonal skills with excellent verbal and written communication ability. Working in conjunction with Design Engineering and Sr. I&T Managers, Lead the execution of various mechanical aspects of the LEOStar-3 and ESPA Star product lines, guaranteeing quality, optimizing cost and schedule while meeting program and customer requirements. Operations are performed in a clean room level manufacturing production environment where I&T Engineers coordinate, monitor, and oversee system-level build and production performed by the technical staff.
- The candidate should have detailed technical knowledge and experience in handling space flight components and should have a working knowledge of manufacturing processes applicable to spaceflight or aerospace hardware. The candidate should be proficient at interpreting complex engineering drawings, schematics, diagrams, and specifications. Also, works with Design Engineers to review pre-release drawings and provide feedback to minimize design impacts on downstream manufacturability.
- The Candidate should be able to proactively identify issues, escalate to appropriate channels, and offer solutions to design engineering for review. Additionally, the candidate should be able to coordinate, drive, and/or support the resolution of anomalies and discrepancies (TF’s & NCR’s) and work with I&T teammates (Engineering, QA, Management, Customers) towards prompt resolution.
-The candidate should have past work experience and have the ability to author/oversee technical Work Instructions, component installation processes, and procedures for use in I&T activities and ensures that adequate documentation is generated and released, both from the development teams and the I&T Team. Experience using MES is desired.
-Excellent communication skills are necessary in order to coordinate with customers, on-Site resident technical engineers, technical experts, and management personnel for the necessary support required in the execution of daily mechanical integration floor operations and associated critical activities.
- This position may require off hour shift work, weekend work, and extended daily hours to meet production demands. Launch campaign support and occasional travel will be required and will be communicated prior.
- Support on time and on-budget product delivery by reducing/eliminating non value operations, support lean principals for process improvements, and support performance metrics regarding quality, efficiency, and process improvements.
- Knowledge and experience with 3D Modeling, Excel, Word, Powerpoint, general computer handling is required. ESD, FOD, 5S, and tool control knowledge desired. Business tools such as TipQA, Windchill, Solumina MES, Costpoint, and CREOView preferred.
A BA/BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent is required.
Skill 1: Must have excellent knowledge of Mechanical I&T activities with one or more of the following:
- 6 years relevant Mechanical Engineering Operations experience with active TS Level Clearance
- 4 years experience in satellite or aerospace manufacturing, integration & test with active TS Clearance
Skill 2: Leadership skills, personal skills include good listening skills and strong follow-through ability.
Skill 3: Experience working with and managing production integration teams.
Skill 4: Practical experience with Six Sigma and/or Lean manufacturing techniques. Experience with Lean Manufacturing, Kaizen, 5S, Continuous Improvement and other Lean methodologies.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years