Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Sr. Program Manager
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman - Innovations Systems is seeking a Sr. Program Manager to support our Medium Caliber portfolio of programs. This position will support our Armament Systems Division located in Mesa, AZ.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems has a challenging and exciting opportunity for a Program Manager in the Medium Caliber Guns business area, located in Mesa, AZ. This segment of Northrop Grumman specializes in medium caliber cannons ranging from calibers of 7.62mm up to 50mm. The Program Manager will be responsible for leading an international co-production program in eastern Europe (NATO and EU Member) for transfer of technology to an industrial partner. Primary responsibilities will be management of a Mesa based Integrated Program Team (IPT) as well as staff located in-country to support the local partner’s development of facilities, training, manufacturing, assembly and test of a medium caliber gun line. The role will also champion the integration of the partner into the Northrop Grumman Global Supply chain. The Program Manager will provide input into program financial planning and reporting to include annual operation forecasts and project estimated profit projections.
This position is responsible for the following:
- Leading and managing the execution (profit and loss) and overall success of a co-production (transfer of technology) program with a strategic partner in Eastern Europe (NATO & EU Member).
- Provide overall leadership and direction to the program team both in Mesa and in-country (to include coaching team members, resolving conflict, addressing resource needs, and initiating corrective actions, if necessary). Position is based in Mesa, AZ with travel to Europe.
- Maintaining proper program budget and schedule by utilizing Earned Value principles and tools
- Managing risk and opportunities. Identify potential issues and problems that could impact program performance, and take proactive action to resolve issues regarding cost and schedule.
- Drive timely and clearly communicated decisions, awareness, and escalations to segment leadership.
- Establish and clearly communicate overall program objectives, mission, vision and strategy to internal and external stakeholders.
- Build and maintain successful relationships with the receiving country’s Ministry of National Defense (MND) and the industrial partner.
- Facilitate follow-on contracts for medium caliber gun sales.
- Bachelors' degree in engineering, business, or related discipline.
- Five to Ten years of Program Management experience. Execution and direct P&L responsibility experience required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to manage the Mesa IPT daily while coordinating with the in-country program team members to help support their success.
- Ability to manage risk to reduce likelihood and severity of program impacts.
- Experience in a mechanical or electro-mechanical manufacturing environment is a plus.
- Direct experience with Program Baseline Execution.
- Ability to operate and lead in a team environment, and teach and mentor others to manage in same way.
- Understand and clearly communicate internally: revenue, profit, risk exposure, and cash performance of the program.
- Ability to resolve disputes and negotiate with positive outcome while maintaining good relationships with customers.
- Ability to communicate and negotiate while overcoming international language and potential cultural differences.
- Understanding of Earned Value Management and PES Principles
- Defense Industry experience desired
- International experience highly desired
- International Travel: <25% Overall with potential need for increased travel frequency during beginning program phases.
Behavioral Competencies for Success:
- Priority Setting
- Timely Decision Making
- Execution Focus
- Action Oriented
- Written Communications
- Customer Focus
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years
Expertise: Engineering, Administrative