Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Quality Assurance Inspector
ORBITAL ATK Space Components is the world’s top producer of solid rocket propulsion systems and a leading supplier of military and commercial aircraft structures. It also specializes in small and micro-satellites, satellite components and subsystems, and lightweight space deployables and solar arrays.
Our facility in Goleta, CA is seeking an experienced Quality Assurance Inspector with relevant aerospace industry experience working on small, medium and/or large government and commercial programs.
- Performs receiving and receiving inspection of purchased parts, subassemblies, verifies supplier compliance with all purchase order requirements, verifies specification and/or drawing requirements.
- Performs dimensional inspections using surface plate set-ups and precision hand-held instruments to measure parts and assemblies to drawing requirement per ANSI-Y14.5.
- Performs dimensional inspection use of Coordinate Measuring Machine (CMM) to drawing requirements per ANSI-Y14.5; (not a requirement, OJT available).
- Performs in-process inspections of assembled hardware per drawing requirements, verifies accuracy of entries on data sheets, work orders, adhesive mixes, and log books.
- Performs finals inspections of assembled hardware per drawing requirements and is the liason to the program Quality Engineer (Reports quality problems or findings to the QE)
- Assists Quality Engineering and Operations in the investigation of non-conformities.
- Performs solder inspection of lead wires and electronic components after being certified per NASA STD 8739 and/or the IPC J-Standard. (not a requirement, OJT available)
- Accurately documents the results of the inspections.
- Performs quality review of work orders prior to their closure to verify count and condition of parts or assemblies, that all operations are complete, that associated kit lists are accurate, that parts are correctly labeled; and assists the Quality Engineer (as needed) to collect data for the assemblies End Item Data Package.
- Maintains metrology control system by reviewing monthly recall report, collecting tooling due for calibration, and interfacing with outside calibration services.
- Performs source inspections at sub-tier suppliers.
- Maintains safe and healthy work environment by following standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational training opportunities;
- Coordinates with the planning and scheduling department to ensure milestone dates are understood and maintained.
- 0-2 years Quality Inspection experience within an aerospace environment.
- Understanding of ASME-Y14.5 standards and engineering specifications.
- Proficient math skills as required.
- Understanding of the set-up and use of mechanical inspection devices.
- Proficient in workmanship standards –NASA-STD-8739 and/or the IPC J-Standards (OJT available).
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Ability to effectively communicate with personnel from all departments within the division, as well as customer source inspectors. Familiar with computer applications (CostPoint, Microsoft Word/Excel).
- Proficient in reading blueprints and specifications; Knowledgeable about calibration systems and internal controls associated with calibration. Knowledgeable of manufacturing and quality assurance functions.
- Ability to use inspection equipment and to exercise independent judgment; Understanding of manufacturing processes, i.e. soldering, assembly, testing; previous experience with computerized work instructions.
- Working Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing Practices, Metrics, and Reporting.
- Ability to perform shipping duties as needed.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 1-3 Years
Education: High School/GED