Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Systems Safety Engineer
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking a Safety Engineer to provide talent to our Defense Electronics Systems (DES) group in Northridge, CA. The position could be a middle, Senior, or Principal level depending upon experience.
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Role description & Responsibilities:
The Systems Safety Engineer and technical contributor for tactical missile system development and production.
Key responsibilities include:
- Performing fundamental aerospace safety tasking, including generation of fault trees, functional hazard analysis, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis, Failure Mode, Effects and Criticality Analysis, software system safety analysis, sneak circuit analysis, bent pin analysis, and system/subsystem hazard analysis.
- Interpreting system requirements, customer specifications, and military standards to develop appropriate safety requirements for hazard mitigation or elimination.
- Generating and updating required System Safety documents such as SSPP, RHA, SCA, FTA, BPA, SSHA, SARs.
- Applying environmental, military, federal, national, and industry regulatory safety standards and codes such as NIOSH, OSHA, NFPA, DOE, UBC, CFR, ASTM, ANSI, RCC, AFOSH, PESHE, MIL-STD-882, and AFSPCMAN 91-710.
- Applying engineering principles to assess design compliance of a complex aerospace system and synthesize rationale and justification for Safety waiver requests and hardware non-compliances.
- Identifying technical issues, proposing solution options, and following through to resolve the issues with minor supervision.
- Interfacing with internal and external customers and associates in engineering and program management.
- Generating and presenting status charts at program and customer meetings.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering or similar Engineering degree.
- Minimum 7 years of related experience.
- High level understanding of tactical missile subsystems.
- Able to obtain a DoD Secret level clearance, holding an active clearance a plus.
- Proficient with MS Office suite of products.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to build effective working relationships are a must.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and technical writing experience.
- Ability to communicate findings to varied audiences to gain support or resolve concerns.
- Self-starter capable of performing and prioritizing assigned tasks with very little direction.
- Familiarity with requirements development and risk management.
NorthropGrumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 8-10 Years