Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman is currently looking for a Chief Engineer to work in our Iuka, MS location. Candidates must be able to obtain a DOD secret clearance.
Technical leadership for the manufacturing of launch vehicle composite structures. Work closely with program office, manufacturing engineering, quality engineering and manufacturing personnel to solve production issues in hand layup, automated fiber placement, secondary bonding, autoclave cure, machining, NDI and final inspection processes. Act as a technical liaison with the customer for design and specification changes. Support and lead proposals. Work in a cross functional team to develop and implement process improvements.
Education and Experience
Requires BS in Engineering and 15+ years of applicable experience. Preference given to candidates with experience in aerospace manufacturing environment. Position may be filled at a lower level.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Experience in working with complex aerospace specifications and requirements
- Proficient in leading technical interchange/communications with external customers, both in the design and manufacturing environments
- High competence in presenting technical analysis and manufacturing capability in customer design reviews
- Ability to lead discussion and ensue collaboration in a complex cross-functional team: designers, quality and production teams
- Strong change control disciplines
- Experience using CAD software, as a design tool and as method of a communicating complex component and assembly designs and processes
- Experience working with Value Analysis/Value Engineering (VA/VE) and Design for Manufacturing and Assembly (DFM/A)
- Working knowledge of manufacturing processing capability (eliminating sources of variation, statistical analysis, SPC, etc.)
- Strong problem solving skills; Functional knowledge in root cause / corrective action processes and techniques (8D, Kepner Tregoe, etc.)
- Functional knowledge in Design and Process Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (D/PFMEA)
- Composites knowledge. Hand layup, fiber/tape placement, bonding, cure, machining, and NDI experience required.
- Experience estimating, planning, and streamlining manufacturing processes
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent leadership, team building, and mentoring skills
- Excellent computer skills. Skilled in Microsoft Office applications and data base systems
- Functional knowledge of production control systems (SAP, Visual Mfg., Cost Point, etc.)
Competencies for Success:
- Leadership skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritize
- Strong attention to detail
- Initiative, self-starter, adaptable, and high motivation for excellence
- High energy, results oriented, self-motivated / self-reliant, team player
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to interface with an organization at all levels
- Coordinate technical assignments for project engineers
- Assist in the management of technical aspects of multi-disciplined programs
- Project planning and organization
- Budget accountability
- Schedule adherence accountability
- Proposal preparation accountability
- Configuration Control Board
- Project technical approach and owner of technical issues
- Technical lead on the Material Review Board (MRB)
- Coordinate and distribute work assignments for assigned projects
- Generate, analyze and guide estimates from a technical aspect, in support of company goals
- Review product designs for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, customer contract requirements and related specifications
- Manage the risk management and trade study processes for a project (identifies potential risks and develops mitigation strategies and implements mitigation strategies in with Program Management)
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Please check out latest NGC-ISG video https://youtu.be/UpOlmJAxA9w
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years