Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Sr. Principal Systems Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people?s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation?s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work ? and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they?re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
STAFF SYSTEMS ENGINEER
NGIS is seeking an experienced Staff Systems Engineer at our Missile Products Division in our Plymouth, MN location. We are seeking a system engineer with proven leadership abilities and experience. Responsibilities will include leading the planning, execution, and tracking of requirement development and verification to include system sell off within the Systems Engineering IPT. The successful candidate will be experienced working with other IPTs to execute a consistent and robust systems engineering effort. The successful candidate will lead the design team through the definition and execution of verification activities.
Performs technical planning, system integration, verification and validation, cost and risk, and supportability and effectiveness analyses for the system. Analyses are performed at all levels of total system product to include: concept, design, fabrication, test, installation, operation, maintenance and disposal. Ensures the logical and systematic conversion of customer or product requirements into total systems solutions that acknowledge technical, schedule, and cost constraints. Performs functional analysis, timeline analysis, detail trade studies, requirements allocation and interface definition studies to translate customer requirements into hardware and software specifications.
Additional duties and responsibilities include:
- Technical authority for program activities.
- Coordination with project management, project leads and engineers, and functional management.
- Create and manage requirements, generate specifications while working closely with internal and external customers. The individual will leverage experience to develop CONOPS, generate timelines, perform functional decomposition and/or use case analysis, establish and control baselines, implement configuration management for requirement changes, establish and maintain requirement traceability, allocate requirements and decompose to lower levels and identify key and major characteristics.
- Develop and manage program metrics to include KPPs, TPMs, SWaP, and generate monthly reports.
- Working closely with design IPTs manage development of interface control documents and drawings to document the internal and external Interfaces. Work closely with the external interface agent(s) to reach consensus on the interface design details.
- Plan the verification and validation program. Document the approach, philosophy, guidelines, and processes to perform and manage verification activities. Manage the requirements verification data base. Perform a requirement compliance assessment.
- Provide Systems Engineering guidance to the team. Review and approve SE developed artifacts.
- Creates and manages large scale system and subsystem architectures(s), system physical views - system elements (blocks) and critical interfaces (internal and external). Develop system/subsystem architectural models
- Lead and direct the testing and/or evaluation/validation of complete system and subsystem analytical models or actual system implementation. Knows how to troubleshoot the system behavior. Directs and Manages application of using system or subsystem
analytical models and simulations to validate large scale system behavior.
- Leads, prepares and presents system engineering materials during SRR, SDR, SFR, PDR, CDR, SVR and other formal program reviews.
- Leads and prepares trade studies, system sensitivity studies, design optimization studies, system performance assessments, system design assessments, Operations Analysis work such as mission analysis. Provides IPT leadership and primary interface to customer for System Engineering and product development activities. Attends Systems Engineering Technical and peer reviews as independent reviewer
- Performs and manages cost estimates and project planning for a significant portion of larger project
- Perform CAM duties: manage cost, schedule, technical performance and monthly EVMS reporting.
Education and Experience:
- Requires BS in Engineering, Applied Sciences, Mathematics, or Computer Science & 15 years’ experience or Master’s Degree & 10 years’ experience or PhD & 7 years’ experience.
- CMMI experience (or exposure so they have some process related background).
- Must have active Secret Clearance (minimum) and ability to obtain higher level clearance.
- Must have experience with DOORS or Teamcenter Systems Engineering.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years