Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people?s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation?s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work ? and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they?re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Are you interested in learning how an entire launch vehicle system functions, from individual components to the integrated launch vehicle including payload and ground support equipment? Do you want to work directly with internal and external customers, including Range Safety, to ensure all required Safety approvals and certifications are received prior to conducting Integration, Test and Launch operations? If so, System Safety Engineering is a great fit for you.
This is an entry level position – no experience with System Safety is required – just a desire to learn how System Safety influences the design, analysis, integration and testing of launch vehicles, with the goal to reduce or eliminate the hazards inherent in rockets and missiles.
This position will support a Lead System Safety Engineer with the following:
System Safety Engineering utilizes System engineering processes and tools to drive the overall system design to meet Safety requirements to minimize the risk inherent in launch vehicle operations while maximizing mission reliability and success. At Northrop Grumman Launch Vehicles Division, System Safety Engineering is involved in all phases of a program life cycle, from proposal generation to launch operations. System Safety Engineering interfaces with the various Ranges to ensure that our launch vehicles meet safety requirements while providing high reliability to the customer.
The System Safety Engineer is responsible for developing key deliverables, and supporting system safety activities including ground safety, range safety and flight safety for assigned programs. The System Safety Engineering deliverables are the only documents that provide a complete, true system description of the components, systems, launch vehicle and mission design, and as such require a high level of understanding of the entire design. The System Safety Engineering effort includes interacting as part of a multi-disciplined engineering team to develop the launch system architecture and constituent elements for new and existing flight programs, as well as new business concepts and proposals. This position may include launch campaign support at remote launch sites.
- System Safety Engineers are responsible for understanding the entire mission, including the launch vehicle, payload, ground support equipment and range safety interfaces.
- System Safety Engineers are expected to understand how the different components, subsystems, systems and integrated launch vehicle function and interact, with a focus on System Safety.
- Apply the systems engineering process to define and verify launch vehicle and ground support equipment requirements to ensure safe operations and conduct system safety analyses to architect and implement a safe and robust system.
- Define and verify launch vehicle-to-payload interface requirements and support target or space vehicle launch campaign management activities at a variety of launch sites: Reagan Test Site - Kwajalein, Cape Canaveral, Vandenberg AFB, etc.
- Manage interface with customer safety and launch integration personnel (US Air Force, US Army, NASA, Navy, etc.), and support ground operations and launch mission working groups.
- Support launch vehicle design and development to ensure that customer and internal goals for safety, mission success, and performance are met.
- Analyze Integration and Test processes to demonstrate customer and internal requirements are met for both safety and mission success, whether at the launch site, or at our facilities in Chandler, AZ.
- Conduct system level analyses to architect and design next generation mission concepts to maximize mission success without compromising compliance with customer, government and internal flight safety requirements.
- Describe, analyze and explain launch vehicle designs to External customers to explain how applicable safety requirements for design, build, and test are met.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in an Engineering or related field (or equivalent experience).
- 2-4 years of experience.
- Experience with launch vehicle system design, testing or Mission Operations.
- Exposure to the systems engineering discipline.
- Experience in requirements development, verification and management processes.
- Experience in launch vehicle system integration, testing and evaluation.
- Experience using Requirements Management Tools such as DOORS.
- Familiarity with RCC-319, RCC-324, AFSPCMAN-91-710 and/or MIL-STD-882 a plus but not necessary.
- Current Security Clearance
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 1-3 Years
Expertise: Communication Skills, Engineering