Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Principal Systems Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people?s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation?s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work ? and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they?re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
NGIS is seeking an experienced Principal Systems Engineer to be a technical lead on a cross-functional system engineering team at our Plymouth, MN location. This person will: lead the development of system and product requirements for safe, supportable, and secure weapon systems; be a key individual contributor to detailed design implementation and present findings and results to DoD review boards; implement changes to system and subsystem architecture models and run existing models and simulations to assess system performance; have a critical role in the training and development of more junior personnel.
- Create system characteristics that define and align requirements for safety, reliability, security, and sustainment.
- Adapt to the needs of multiple programs by effectively performing in lead or support roles when needed.
- Skillfully develop and present solutions to client programs and organizations.
- Have the ability to work effectively across organization and engineering discipline boundaries.
- Have the ability to effectively scope, bid, and plan work for themselves and others - CAM when needed
- Develop accurate and effective safety cases for consideration by domestic or foreign safety board review and approval
- Employ sound system engineering principles to architect solutions for air worthiness, range safety, and transition to deployment for critical weapon systems and capabilities.
- Support the definition of effective test approaches to prove reliable and predictable performance through use of performance tests and HALT/HASS techniques
- Have effective skills in hazard analysis, failure modes effects analysis, and fault trees - or other structured analytic techniques
- Participate and supports proposal-writing efforts for Systems Engineering for a portion of a project.
- Provides data to and manages risk management (identifies potential risks and develops mitigation strategies) and trade study processes for a portion of a project.
- Creates and manages changes to Functional/Logical/Physical Model of System Architecture descriptions under self direction using established guidelines.
- Leads aspects of system design, analyses, interface verification, testing, and major failure/anomaly resolution or mission operations.
- Prepare and present materials during System Requirement Review, System Functional Review, Preliminary Design Review, Critical Design Review and System Verification Review.
- Leads and prepares trade studies, system sensitivity studies, design optimization studies, system performance assessments, system design assessments, Operations Analysis work such as mission analysis and timelines and conops development.
- Enjoy sharing knowledge across teams and helping to develop others
Required Education and Experience:
Requires BS in Engineering
Must have a minimum of 7 years of Engineering experience in a matrixed organization, or Masters in Engineering and 5 years of experience, or a PhD and 2 years.
Aerospace and/or Defense Industry experience strongly preferred.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 8-10 Years