Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Nondestructive Testing (NDT) Test Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people?s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation?s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work ? and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they?re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman is currently seeking a Sr Test Engineer to join our NDT (nondestructive testing) team at the Promontory, Utah facility.
The NDT Test Engineer is responsible for the inspection of rocket motors, composite aerospace components, and other energetic and non-energetic articles. This is a trainee position with experience in NDT desired, but not required. This position is responsible for developing and implementing unique nondestructive inspection techniques, methods, and procedures. Works with design, project and quality engineers through the development process to select and implement the best NDT method to ensure product quality at lowest cost.
- Reviews engineering designs and drawings providing correct NDT method description for the critical defect size and type of material being inspected
- Prepare inspection documentation to identify test parameters and requirements.
- Processes change control documents and supports Material Review Board dispositions
- Supports production in using the machines and assist maintenance personnel as needed when troubleshooting and repairing the equipment.
- Participates in R&D programs to improve system capabilities and bring new ideas & technology into projects and pursuits.
- Develop and produce formal customer reports containing recommendations, computer generated graphics, plots, tables, summaries and comparisons. Maintain & archive electronic and hard copy inspection data and reports.
- Communicate and interact extensively with suppliers, component designers, safety, tooling engineers, and management personnel.
- Assist in the performance of inspector training, including training module creation. Perform technical audits of NDT personnel in the field.
- Review NDT inspection reports for accuracy, completeness, and procedural adherence.
Analyze, interpret and convert data into format for engineering analysis.
- Support activities as required such as proposal support, process instruction revisions, new test development, interpretation of customer technical specifications, and support of internal or external meetings.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or Physics.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- 2-4 years’ experience in a manufacturing or machine shop environment
- Working knowledge of computer aided design (CAD) software. (Will be trained to use NX software.)
- Skilled in working with Microsoft Office applications; Word, Excel, Project.
- Strong interpersonal skills and communication skills; ability to communicate effectively and develop collaborative relationships with all levels within the organization
- Ability to perform at a high level with minimal supervision and direction, can multi-task and is a self-starter
- This is a very hands-on position. Must enjoy working on the shop floor with the technicians.
- Will be required to acquire a minimum of one Level 3 certification to NAS 410 in Eddy Current (ET), Magnetic Particle (MT), Ultrasonic (UT), Radiography (RT), Dye Penetrant (PT), Infrared Thermography (IRT), or Leak Test (LT).
- Will cross train in other NDT methods.
- Must pass the 20/25 Snellen or Jaeger No. 1 vision test for NAS 410 certification
- Hands on experience with Lean Manufacturing concepts and Six Sigma tools are a plus
- Background in NDT of Aerospace products.
- Experience investigating, performing root cause analysis, and recommending corrective measures.
- NDT method certifications are a plus
Competencies for success::
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage time and multi-task.
- Ability to work independently and use judgment to make appropriate decisions that support overall project objectives.
- Ability to drive projects and processes
- Ability to partner with leadership at all levels.
- Ability to troubleshoot problems and resolve issues is a short time frame.
- Detail oriented but able to see the big picture.
- Strong problem-solving skills
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 1-3 Years