Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Sr. Principal Mechanical Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
We are currently seeking an experienced Sr. Principal Mechanical Engineer to join our Process Engineering team in our Bacchus and or Promontory, UT offices. This job requires technical / manufacturing oversight, investigative problem resolution, data analysis, and presentation skills to leadership and external customers. Position requires supporting cross function matrixed investigation teams with emphasis on root cause analysis, process failure modes and effect analysis (PFMEA). Work instruction development and ownership. Dual Process and Design Engineering MRB responsibilities (post DCR) may be a consideration.
The Sr. Principal Mechanical Engineer is responsible to do the following:
- Ensure the plant/process is compliant with all internal and external safety and environmental requirements
- Support the review of design efforts and coordinate technical efforts based on knowledge, experience and practicality for assembly, disassembly and handling operations in a manufacturing environment
- Work with concurrent engineering team to create Build-to-Packages (i.e. engineering and planning documents)
- Troubleshoot production/tooling/facility issues and implement improvements and solutions
- Prepare and present technical presentations to leadership and to the customers for review and approval
- Utilize SPC methods and lean manufacturing concepts for control of critical process variabilities to ensure a consistent product is produced
- Conduct project team meetings and assign actions as appropriate to meet major project milestone objectives and follows up on actions
- Prepare MRB dispositions
- Desire to work directly with flight hardware, develop and improve manufacturing processes. Work place will include areas where explosives, chemicals, and hazardous operations may be encountered
- Ability to work in a fast paced dynamic environment as part of a multi-discipline team
- Responsive and follows-through in a timely fashion on all inquiries. Multi-tasker --- can handle working multiple projects at one time. Creative and open minded to new materials, processes, etc.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to work independently and organize/prioritize job assignments and tasks
- Provide creative yet practical technical solutions to material and process trouble-shooting issues. Drive for efficiency and conscientious of cost, schedule and scope.
- Able to see how the system works (big picture) while working on individual components (details)
- Strong communication skills with the ability to clearly present technical information including hazards and mitigation plans to all organizational levels in written and oral formats
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (aerospace, chemical, electrical, mechanical, material sciences engineering, or physics) required with 10 years of experience, MS with 7 years of experience, or PhD with 5 years of experience.
- Security Clearance preferred
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years