Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman is currently seeking an Engineering Manager to provide leadership to our Safety and Mission Assurance team in our Bacchus (Magna), Utah laboratory facilities.
Role Description & Responsibilities:
The Safety and Mission Assurance Laboratory Manager is responsible to:
- Lead a team of skilled professionals in performing the following
- Perform a variety of moderately complex chemical and physical analyses of various materials including in-process testing of propellants and ingredients, raw material acceptance, compatibility and sensitivity testing, aging and surveillance, and foreign object debris (FOD) analysis.
- Use moderately complex test instrumentation and computer operated data acquisition setups and standardization to obtain necessary test data
- Evaluate results of chemical and physical testing data, prepare and maintains analysis logs, records, documentation, etc.
- Perform maintenance, repair and troubleshooting of analytical instrumentation and data acquisition equipment
- Develop and document new methods for current and future products
- Execution excellence of daily activities for multi-shift operations
- Ensure safe execution of hazardous operations to HOPS, SA-22 and other requirements
- Manage laboratory facilities ensuring Building Owner duties for live facilities and processes are meticulously carried out. Processes include four owned facilities at Bacchus
- Collaborate with Operations, Engineering, Quality, Safety, Hazards Analysis and various other teams
- Bachelor degree in Engineering, Chemistry or Related Science
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience of increasing responsibility in Research and Development, Operations, Quality, and/or Design
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and communicate effectively with all levels of the organization and with internal and external customers
- Demonstrated leadership abilities, including the ability to coach, develop and mentor others
- Ability to drive change through creating, sustaining and improving standards and procedures
- Ability to work well in a team environment and effective interpersonal communication and problem solving skills are desired
- Excellent written communication and presentation skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Detail oriented but able to understand the big picture
- Advanced degree in engineering, chemistry, or related science
- Five or more years in leadership in S&MA, manufacturing operations, engineering, project/systems engineering and/or program management
- Working knowledge of laboratory testing methods, change management processes and quality procedures
- Strong knowledge of data analysis and corrective action methods
Demonstrated strength in the following competencies:
- Business Acumen & Comfort Around Higher Management
- Customer Focus
- Timely Decision Making & Decision Quality
- Written and Verbal Communication
- Developing & Managing Teams
- Managing Through Systems
- Standing Alone
- Learning Agility
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years