Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Sr. Principal Systems Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
We are currently seeking an experienced Sr. Principal Systems Engineer to serve as a Project Engineer to our Advance Programs team in our Promontory, UT offices.
Role description & Responsibilities:
The Sr. Principal Systems Engineer (Project Engineer) is responsible for establishment and execution of all technical aspects of Development, Qualification, and Production of Small Warhead, Flares and/or Decoy products. This position will have multiple opportunities to lead the planning, design, fabrication and testing of next generation products as well as the scale up of products, processes and facilities for low rate and high rate production. The Advanced Programs Project Engineering group has several very exciting and fast moving projects that require significant interaction with commercial and military customers.
- Develop execution plans for new projects
- Development, coordination and allocation of requirements from the customer
- Assemble and develop efficient cross functional teams to execute plans
- Identify design concepts and mature into design solutions that meet the customer needs
- Develop MS Project based master schedules, integrated logic flows, work breakdown, and assist in program cost estimates
- Coordination and implementation of design and analysis activities including hands-on assembly and testing of prototypes
- Development of test plans and coordination of testing with test engineers
- Development of initial manufacturing processes and coordination with process engineers
- Identification of risks/mitigations and tracking to closure in Risk Tracker
- Coordination and Conducting Reviews (SRR, SDR, PDR, CDR, etc)
- Lead problem and failure investigations
- Write technical reports
- Presentations – internal and external
- Travel as needed
- Candidate must have demonstrated ability to:
- Plan and execute complex, fast paced projects
- Communicate technically complex topics and scenarios clearly and concisely
- Build relationships necessary to function efficient teams
- Ability to Travel expectation of 5% – 15%
- Knowledgeable of pyrotechnics and pyrotechnic devices
- Hands-on understanding of energetic materials and energetic devices. Comfortable handling energetic materials
- Knowledge and experience in System Engineering tools and disciplines
- Knowledge of lean manufacturing and design for manufacturability
- Ability to perform solid modeling using NX
- Knowledgeable of electronic devices
- 2 years of Project Leadership experience.
- Certification as a Systems Engineer is preferred
Skills & Qualifications:
- Strong skills in creativity, perseverance, and problem solving
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Detail oriented but able to understand the big picture
- Broad understanding of Project Management and Systems Engineering
- Secret clearance or ability to obtain required
- Ability to work with energetic materials as a U. S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, firearms and explosives; “Employee Possessor” – required
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (aerospace, chemical, electrical, mechanical, material sciences engineering, or physics) required with 10 years of experience, MS with 7 years of experience, or PhD with 5 years of experience.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years