Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Sr. Principal Mechanical Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking a Sr. Principal Mechanical Engineer to provide talent to our NASA Space Launch System (SLS) Integration Engineering team in our Promontory, UT offices.
Role description & Responsibilities:
The Sr. Principal Mechanical Engineer is responsible for providing Integration Design Engineering for the SLS Booster, Forward Skirt, Frustum, and Systems Tunnel assemblies. Primary responsibilities include creating and revising engineering drawings, specification, test plans, and reports. The engineer will also provide design engineering services on Procurement Control Documents (PCD), Interface Control Documents (ICD), bracketry design, electrical harness routing, tolerance stack-up analysis, manufacturing support, and performing peer reviews. Perform booster level integration tasks of pyrotechnics and range safety system, avionics integration, faying surface close outs, Thermal Protection Systems (TPS), paint and bolted joint designs.
- Integrates using 3D NX models, mechanical & assembly drawings, and specifications in accordance with company standards
- Support mechanical, electrical, and pyrotechnic integration design across the SLS Booster
- Support Material Review Board (MRB) and booster build in Florida
- Prepare test & instrumentation drawings, test plans, reports, and perform tolerance analysis
- Prepare trade studies and milestone review presentations
- Prepare ICD, NxN interaction matrices and Interface Summary Sheets
- Prepare requirement specifications and provide verification reporting.
- Perform preliminary structural analysis
- Candidate must have a minimum of a BS in Engineering with 10 years of engineering design experience.
- Knowledgeable and demonstrated experience with NX modeling or similar experience with large (500+ parts) assemblies
- Solid design engineering skill set
- Skilled verbal and written communicator with integration design experience
Skills & Qualifications:
- Design / development experience
- Solid modeling experience (NX is preferred)
- Knowledge of loads and environment analysis
- Structural analysis experience
- Experience with manufacturing processes
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and proven ability to integrate with other disciplines
- Drafting, drawing preparation, and GD&T skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Detail oriented but able to understand the big picture
- Candidate must have a minimum of 10 years of engineering experience and a degree in aerospace, chemical, electrical, mechanical, material sciences engineering, or physics required
- BS degree with 10 years experience; MS degree with 7 years experience; or PhD with 5 years experience
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years