Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Principal Systems Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systemsis currently seeking an experienced Principal Systems Engineer to provide leadership to our SLS Materials and Process team in our Promontory, Utah offices.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The Systems Engineer will provide PE responsibility for support of new materials, processes, obsolence as required and approved by the customer. A successful PE candidate must possess the ability to create a strategy that works at the Program level, not just for one specific IPT.
- Makes technical presentations to the internal CCBs, SE&I working group, external IPT, BITM and ERB/ECB
- Serve as the primary interface with the M&P functional organization
- Broad background of rocket motor, integration materials and processes
- Working knowledge of Rocket motor Design, Manufacturing & Lab processes, including Obsolescence
- Working with materials, processes, obsolescence and systems
- Customer interfaces
- Identify/understand requirements, manage allocation, and oversee specifications
- Have 7 years working experience with materials, processes, obsolescence and systems and experience with vendor
- Organization and Problem solving skill
- Understanding of CM systems, drawings, specifications, test plan
- Good communication skills
- Good organization presentation and writing skills
- Project planning and execution skills thru IMS, ETM and other tools
- Understanding of manufacturing, laboratory, vendor, processes and products
- Must demonstrate ability in achieving the correct technical risk and project commonality balance at the architecture level
- Have a working knowledge of Rocket motor Design, Manufacturing & Lab processes
- Requires a broad background of rocket motor and integration materials and processes to generate the overall technical vision/direction for a matrixed team
Skills & Qualifications:
- Ability to work independently and make logical decisions
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with ability to prioritize work and schedule
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to coordinate and work well with management, coworkers, and internal customers
- Strong problem solving skills
- Attention to detail but able to understand big picture
- Positive, can do, accept challenge attitude
- Flexibility to accept, learn and perform new job functions
- Committed to continuous improvement
- Ability to travel on an occasional basis
- BS degree in Engineering or related field required. Consideration will be given to candidates with a BS degree in other engineering disciplines with strong relevant experience (BS degree with 7+ years experience, MS degree with 5 years experience, , or PhD with 2 years experience)
- A graduate degree in Mechanical/Civil Engineering is highly preferred
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years