Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking an experienced Sr. Principal Systems Engineer to serve as a Project Engineer in our Strategic Programs (Air Force Programs) team in our Promontory, UT offices.
Role description & Responsibilities:
The Sr. Principal Systems Engineer (Project Engineer) is responsible for technical aspects of the continuing sustainment activity for MMII and Peacekeeper test motors at the Bacchus and Promontory facilities.
- Project Engineer (PE) for RSLP Project Engineering and other PE projects as needed.
- Overall responsibility: Definition, organization, and management of assigned RSLP project tasks from conception through execution. Coordinating engineering services using ETM.
- Major roles and responsibilities include: Coordinates planning, organization, development, implementation, integration and completion of sustaining engineering projects for RSLP contract tasks.
- Coordinates and reviews age life test planning, data and TALE predictions and presents results at customer reviews.
- Also responsible for ensuring engineering efforts supporting RSLP sustainment remain technically compliant and technical issues do not significantly impact schedule.
- Reviews subsystem test reports and develops/coordinates writing, customer review and vaulting in PLM aging/sustainment contract deliverable reports
- Manages defined multi discipline technical projects of significant complexity and scope through organizing, delegating and managing work of other team members and contractors. Directs projects and coordinates activities concerned with technical development and project schedule.
- Performs engineering sustainment evaluations and coordinates test activities with supporting departments within budget and scheduling restraints.
- Provide test engineering support for on-site and offsite locations as required.
- Sustainment engineering support at Promontory and Bacchus (for M57 and test case cut-up)
- Represent the RSLP program to the U.S. Air Force and support contractors
Candidate must have a minimum of 10 years of rocket motor design, development, engineering and production experience (an advanced engineering degree and/or post graduate research may count toward engineering experience).
- Knowledge of NGIS policies, procedures, organizations and computer usage
- Experience in report/test plan writing, reviewing and the ePIC PLM system
- Working knowledge of rocket motor fundamentals and subsystems
- Ability to travel (if applicable): Travel expectation of <10%
- Ability to direct others: Coordinate Engineering as well as teams of multiple disciplines.
- Ability to present in difficult executive and customer reviews, VSET, as well as working group meetings
- Ability to develop and coordinate schedules for accomplishment of multidiscipline and sequential tasks
- 2 years of Project Leadership experience
Skills & Qualifications:
- Self-Directed, reliable, detailed oriented but able to understand the big picture, flexible, and a demonstrated aptitude for rapid learning
- Excellent communicator demonstrated ability to listen as well as communicate up, down, and across the organizational structure within and across programs, functions, and organizations from operators to executive VP level management in the audience’s own language. Demonstrated public speaking and effective technical communication ability
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple concurrent projects while maintaining focused results within safety, reliability, quality, schedule, and budget requirements/constraints
- Ability to create and present sustainment data and schedule status to management and customers
- Demonstrated successful ability to solve complex problems
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (aerospace, chemical, electrical, mechanical, material sciences engineering, or physics) required with 10 years of experience, MS with 7 years of experience, or PhD with 5 years of experience.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years