Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Sr. Principal Mechanical Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
We are currently seeking an experienced Sr. Principal Mechanical Engineer to join our Composite Structures/Case Design team in our Promontory, UT offices.
Role description & Responsibilities:
- The Sr. Principal Mechanical Engineer is responsible to do the following:
- Lead major design efforts and coordinate technical efforts based on knowledge and experience
- Create designs for future rocket motor case products using advanced in-house codes coupled with finite element analysis
- Develop engineering documentation products (drawings, specifications, design and analysis reports, test plans, test reports, etc.)
- Oversee and plan testing for development and qualification of flight hardware products.
- Lead a small team to include task and schedule planning to meet major project milestone objectives
- Design rocket motor cases using Orbital ATK proprietary computer codes.
- Design associated components and structures, both composite and metallic, to achieve lowest cost from design and lean manufacturing principles.
- Perform 2D and 3D structural analysis for the design of flight hardware and test articles using Siemens NX CAD software and ABAQUS/CAE tools to optimize mass.
- Create engineering drawings and specifications to define design for hardware fabrication, write test plans, support fabrication efforts, oversee testing, analyze test data and make revisions to design based on results.
- Learn and help maintain standard design processes.
- Candidate must have a minimum of 10 years of engineering design and analysis of composite structures experience with a BS in Mechanical, Aerospace, Civil (Structural) Engineering or equivalent. BS degree with 10 years’ experience or MS degree with 7 years’ experience is required.
- Strong skills in CAD and Finite Element Analysis with the ability to quickly learn new design codes and FEA tools
- Assembly level design including establishment of datum schemes and tolerance analysis
- Ability to work in a fast paced dynamic environment as part of a multi-discipline team
- Able to see how the system works (big picture) while working on individual components (details)
- Knowledgeable of Composite Structures Design, Analysis and Optimization is a plus.
- Knowledgeable of Siemens NX, ABAQUS/CAE and ABAQUS solver are a plus.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Broad understanding and knowledge of composite materials in design, analysis and manufacturing processes
- Strong skills using Classical Lamination Theory and related tools for design as well as optimization techniques for minimum mass structures
- Strong knowledge of design and analysis of flight structures
- Strong, proactive analytical problem-solving skills and ability to deal with ambiguity
- Excellent time management, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Strong communication skills with the ability to clearly present technical information to all organizational levels in written and oral formats
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (aerospace, chemical, electrical, mechanical, material sciences engineering, or physics) required with 10 years of experience, MS with 7 years of experience, or PhD with 5 years of experience.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years