Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
We are currently seeking a Sr. Mechanical Engineer to design and evaluate solid rocket motor performance with the Performance Analysis team at our Promontory, Utah office.
Role description & Responsibilities:
The Sr. Mechanical Engineer is responsible for designing and evaluating ballistic performance of all solid rocket motors produced at Northrop Grumman facilities in Utah. The motors have a wide variety of applications and range in size from very large boosters used by NASA, to large and medium motors used in defense and commercial programs, to small subscale test motors.
- Design solid propellant grains and calculate ballistic performance for new motor programs
- Analyze ground test and flight motor performance
- Calculate performance variation and uncertainty
- Evaluate historical motor performance trending data
- Develop motor performance requirements
- Present analysis results to internal and external customers
- Document analysis results in technical reports
- Update computer analysis codes
- Analysis in a relevant discipline such as gas dynamics, computational fluid dynamics, combustion, etc.
- Technical analysis
- Project lead
- Demonstrated success in a team environment
- Solid rocket motor performance evaluation
- Propellant related manufacturing and/or laboratory experience
Skills & Qualifications:
- Basic knowledge of solid rocket motors and their performance
- Computer programming (MATLAB and/or FORTRAN, C, C++), CAD, and MS Office
- Familiarity with statistics and statistical methods
- Highly self-motivated
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Detail oriented but able to understand the big picture
- Candidate must have a minimum of 4 years of engineering experience and a degree in aerospace, chemical, electrical, mechanical, material sciences engineering, or physics required (emphasis on rocket propulsion, fluid dynamics, combustion, and thermodynamics preferred).
- BS degree with 4 years experience, MS with 2 years of experience, or PhD.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 3-5 Years