Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Sr. Principal Systems Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
We are currently seeking an experienced Sr. Principal Systems Engineer to provide systems and test engineering to our Avionics and Controls team in our Huntsville, AL offices.
Role description & Responsibilities:
The Sr. Principal Systems Engineer is responsible for working with a small team of test and systems engineers to support integration and testing of the SLS Booster program avionics subsystem both at Marshall Spaceflight Center (MSFC) in Huntsville, AL and at Kennedy Space Center (KSC) in Cape Canaveral FL. Will including planning, design, and execution of tests to verify avionics performance requirements. Methodical troubleshooting and root cause of test anomalies may be required. Will be responsible for post test data review, analyses, report, and compliance generation. Will utilize common lab equipment, data acquisition, and processing software such as Oscilloscopes, DMMs, LabVIEW, and Matlab.
Roles and responsibilities include:
- Maintain primary interface to the SLS Electrical and Controls Chief Engineer and NASA customer
- Regular coordination with Program Management for budget/schedule and Design Engineering
- Work closely with Quality Engineering to disposition MRB
- Generate and execute detailed planning for avionics test and checkout
- Analyze test results and generate associated reports and compliance data
- Support planning and execution of overall Integration, Test and Checkout for downstream activities
- Minimum of 10 years of experience related to Electrical/Avionics, analysis, and testing
- Knowledge, use and application of engineering and processing documentation (i.e., drawings, specifications, table tops, parts lists, change requests, change notices, planning, MRB)
- Excellent presentation skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill in using Microsoft Office Applications
- Proficient writing skills (grammar/punctuation/spelling)
- Experience with Configuration Management
- Ability to travel: Travel expectation of 15% - 25%
Skills & Qualifications:
- Ability to work independently and make logical decisions
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with ability to prioritize work and schedule
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to coordinate and work well with management, coworkers, and internal customers
- Strong problem solving skills
- Attention to detail but able to understand big picture
- Willingness to accept challenging work with positive attitude
- Flexibility to accept, learn and perform new job functions
- Committed to continuous improvement
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (aerospace, chemical, electrical, mechanical, material sciences engineering, or physics) required with 10 years of experience, MS with 7 years of experience, or PhD with 5 years of experience.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years