Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Principal Software Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman has an exciting opening for a talented Principal Software Engineer within the Armament Systems Division based in Plymouth, MN.
Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Produce software specifications defining the capabilities and interfaces of each software item within a system.
- Develop real time embedded C/C++ code for Microchip, Atmel, or TI microprocessor/DSP.
- Use Matlab / Simulink to model software behavior and auto-generate embedded software executable.
- Generate and unit test code using IAR Integrated Development Environment, Code Composer or equivalent on a custom breadboard in a lab setting. Integrate multiple software items into a reliable working system.
- Generate clear and professional plan, specification, design, test and release documentation per DoD standards.
- Perform various types of analysis such as data, memory, algorithm and throughput analysis.
- Plan and manage budget, schedule, and resources; utilize EVMS for budget management and reporting.
- Lead software efforts for a small group of development and test engineers.
- Concisely and accurately report technical details and status, collect software metrics and generate reports.
- Participate in design reviews and technical presentations to management and customers.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer /Software Engineering or Electrical Engineering.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience with BS, or 5 years of experience with MS.
- Experience developing embedded real time C/C++ software in close coordination with Electrical Engineering.
- Strong Matlab / Simulink background with experience auto-generating code and testing auto-generated code on a microprocessor platform; use of Embedded Coder and related verification / validation toolsets.
- Comfortable in a lab environment working with tools such as function generators and oscilloscopes to test software.
- Effective interpersonal, written and oral communication skills, as well as the ability to present data and information to large audiences.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced, rapidly changing, short turn-around environment.
- Must be a U.S. citizen and qualify for a U.S. Government security clearance.
- At least 12 years of experience with a BS degree, or at least 10 years of experience with an MS degree.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience developing C/C++ embedded software.
- Familiarity with AS9100 and CMMI Level 3 standard practices and lifecycle processes and / or DoD standards.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years