Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Sr. Principal Mechanical Engineer
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking a Sr. Principal Mechanical Engineer to provide talent to our Defense Electronics Systems (DES) group in Northridge, CA.
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people?s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation?s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work ? and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they?re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Perform analysis, design, or test of one or more moderately complex or portions of complex materials, structural components, and functional systems of company products. Generally work from preliminary studies developed by higher graded engineers. Analyze requirements for materials, structural component, or functional systems. Select applicable analytical data from previous products, determine the technical principles involved, mathematically define the problem and compute the engineering characteristics consistent with the specifications, design needs and requirements of other portions of the product. Release results as design data after review by higher graded engineer. Develop original ideas and elaborate on preliminary design concepts. Evaluate completed design with supervisor and other technical groups and make modification necessary to achieve the most ideal design. Develop and coordinate the conduct of test programs requires to evaluate design work.
- Demonstrates and applies technical expertise in several engineering disciplines. Serves as a subject matter expert in one engineering discipline or specialty area, or acts as a program team lead.
- Uses independent advanced knowledge and ideas to guide the development and implementation of technical solutions to highly complex problems. Participate in and/or lead FMEA activities.
- Anticipates customer needs and finds innovative ways to provide for those needs.
- Provides viable, well-thought out suggestions that carry significant benefit to the department or the organization. Continuously finds new and better ways of performing job.
- Perform anomaly resolution and conduct special studies.
- Determine engineering tasks required for project planning and execution; Analyze project requirements and develop detailed planning, conceptual designs, and risk analysis.
- Assume leadership role as task manager, CAM, and/or systems lead.
- Review and approve analysis performed by team members.
- Interact with internal and external customers.
- Provide technical guidance and direction to engineering team in the design, test, production and maintenance phases of a project.
- Develop and present materials for project related briefings including design reviews to be given to internal and external customers.
- Support new business and prepare proposal material.
- Generate engineering schedules and cost estimates for proposals/projects.
Education and Experience
1. Requires BS in Engineering & 10 years related experience, OR Masters in Engineering & 7 years related experience OR PhD in Engineering & 5 years related experience.
2. Must be able to obtain and maintain a US Gov't issued Secret clearance within a timeframe set forth by management. A current/active Secret clearance is preferred.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: 25-50%
Years of Experience: 8-10 Years