Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Mid-Level Thermal Engineer/Thermal Analyst
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking a mid-level Thermal Engineer/Thermal Analyst in Northridge, CA. Relocation assistance, while not guaranteed, may be available.
The candidate will perform thermal analyses on cutting-edge, conceptual missile designs. This will include analyses at system level, subassemblies, piece parts and Circuit Card Assemblies. They will work closely with the Design Engineers to ensure that the design will meet the thermal requirements. They will also be involved with various levels of thermal tests. The candidate will also document the analysis results and present them to peers and customers.
- Perform thermal analyses on missile components and systems.
- Perform thermal analyses on Circuit Card Assemblies.
- Create technical reports documenting the analyses results and recommendations.
- Present analyses at design reviews.
- Write test plans for and conduct prototype, qualification and correlation testing.
- Troubleshoot and resolve thermal issues on prototype and production hardware.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering plus 7 years related experience.
- Must be able to obtain a US Gov't issued Secret clearance within a timeframe set forth by management (US Citizenship required.)
- Experience with aerodynamic (high Mach) heat transfer determination and modeling.
- Extensive experience creating both nodal network and finite element based models.
- Experience creating and performing thermal tests; planning, set-up, measurement, and post processing
- Experience correlating models to test data.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Experience with Sinda (solver) and Femap (pre-post processor).
- Experience with Miniver or Atac aerodynamic heating codes.
- Experience with Fortran programming language.
- Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering with an emphasis on Thermal Dynamics.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: 25-50%
Years of Experience: 8-10 Years