Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Scientific Manager (Energetics & Materials Chemistry)
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Scientific Manager located at the Allegany Ballistics Laboratory near Cumberland, MD. This position will report directly to the Energetic Technologies and Laboratories Senior Manager, and will provide leadership to the Energetics and Materials Chemistry team in relation to the development and manufacture of propellant, explosive and adhesive bondliner formulations for rocket motor and warhead programs.
- Manage department resources, ensuring appropriate level of support & prioritization of activities
- Mentor and develop scientists on technical projects and assignments
- Manage personnel and financial resources effectively
- Provide oversight of staffing and assignments
- Assure quality, cost effectiveness and timely completion of projects
- Interface with internal and external customers
- Statistical based analysis of physical and chemical technical data
- Technical planning, cost estimation and general proposal support for new business captures
- Perform duties within industry specific regulations regarding safety, product and material requirements and plant operations
- Serve as a subject matter expert across various disciplines
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry; M.S. or Ph.D. is preferred
- 5 years of related work experience in energetics, adhesives or other chemistry field
Skills and Abilities:
- Understanding of relevant chemistries including elements of polymer, organic, physical and inorganic
- Ability to understand and interpret physical and chemical properties data
- High ethical standards of work and personal conduct
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and communicate effectively with all levels of the organization and with internal and external customers
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Proficiency in MS Office tools and web-based organizational filing
- Able to obtain a Secret Clearance; requires US Citizenship as a prerequisite
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 3-5 Years