Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking a Manufacturing Technician for our Elkton, Maryland office.
The Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Missile Defense and Controls (MD&C) facility in Elkton, Maryland began solid-propellant rocket operations in 1948. Today, the Elkton MD&C facility designs, develops, and produces solid-propellant propulsion and ordnance systems in programs professionally managed for a wide variety of Government and commercial customers. The facility also serves as the hub for offsite engineering and test facilities in Ronkonkoma, NY, Palm Beach Gardens, FL and San
Responsibilities for this position include:
- Follow the directions of supervision and lead technicians for the fabrication of rocket motors. Works with explosives and chemicals during the processing of propellant and rocket motor components.
- Candidate must be able to read and follow written manufacturing instructions. Must be able to work closely with non-manufacturing personnel to meet build requirements and schedules.
- Safe handling of hazardous materials in accordance with OSHA and company policies.
- Operate production equipment such as mixers, presses, lathes, scales, hoists, forklift, ovens, and paint booths. Operate various instruments such as verniers, durometers, height gage, leak detectors, torque wrenches, and resistance meters.
- Support many areas of manufacturing such as - Ordnance, Casting, Insulation, Final Assembly, and Lining when work load requires additional labor.
- Performs daily standard work and revises work as necessary.
- Capable of identifying discrepancies in design, planning, or manufacturing non-conformance to hardware or material.
- Insures operations are performed within the time allowed for the individual component and contacts management when inspection times cannot be met.
- Stops operations immediately and reports any safety "near misses" or incidents involving personnel, equipment, etc. Safety
- Reports any defective equipment to supervision or leads and tags out equipment accordingly.
Requirements for this position include:
- High School + 2-5 years overall work experience.
- Good reading and math skills.
- Exposure to Chemistry and vocational training such as soldering, woodworking, metal working, electrical, automotive assembly and finishing, welding, or mechanical training.
- Must be able to be certified for respirator use, competent to be trained in forklift and hoist operation.
- Must be able to work modified shifts, overtime and weekends, if needed, and in some instances work flexible hours to staff production needs.
- Blue print reading fundamentals are required or the aptitude to learn blue print reading.
- Working knowledge of MS Office Tools is a plus.
Preferred requirements for this position include:
- Experience in a manufacturing, assembly or mechanics position is preferred.
- Fluent in PES tools/concepts: SQDEC metrics, 5S, Continuous Improvement and an understanding of customer and supplier relationship is preferred.
- Fluent use of software tools required for the job: Shop Floor Tracker and Time & Entry is preferred.
- FOD and Tool Management skills is preferred.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: None
Years of Experience: 1-3 Years
Education: High School/GED
Expertise: Continuous Improvement, Manufacturing, Specifications, Mechanical assembly, Operations