Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
EMI/EMC Principal Systems Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people?s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation?s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work ? and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they?re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
1. Review customer EMI/EMC requirements.
2. Conduct analysis to determine compatibility of components, subsystems and systems.
3. Identify potential design issues and provide solution options.
4. Provide EMC design strategy to electrical and mechanical design teams.
1. Excellent interpersonal, presentation, written and verbal skills.
2. Able to divide time across multiple projects.
3. Takes initiative as a problem solver while involving the design/production team as required.
1. Review and implement customer EMI/EMC requirements and develop derived requirements as required.
2. Conduct analyses to determine self-compatibility of components, subsystems and systems as well as compatibility with other mission segments including launch vehicles and ground systems.
3. Identify potential EMC design issues and provide solution options.
4. Provide EMC design strategy and guidance to electrical and mechanical design teams.
5. Ensure necessary methods are implemented to protect against radiated susceptibility, conducted susceptibility, electrostatic discharge, and lightning environments.
6. Ensure necessary methods are implemented to control radiated emissions and conducted emissions of components, subsystems, and systems.
7. Establish guidelines and methods to mitigate spacecraft charging and ensure implementation of same.
8. Participate in design reviews (SRR, PDR, CDR & PER) and provide detailed design guidance on filters, shielding, gaskets, transient protection, cable shielding, etc.
9. Write and review in-house control plans, grounding plans, test plans, test procedures, test reports, design memos, and waivers.
10. Review and approve vendor/subcontractor EMC documentation such as control plans, test plans, test procedures, test report, waivers, and deviations.
11. Review and approve electrical and mechanical drawings for EMC factors.
12. Communicate directly with management, vendors, subcontractors, and customers on EMC technical matters.
13. Support and direct in-house and vendor/subcontractor EMC diagnostics and troubleshooting from circuit level to system level.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Candidate must meet the requirements to obtain access to classified information at the TOP SECRET level or presently hold a TOP SECRET Clearance preferred.
1. BSEE or similar degree and seven years of experience.
2. At least 3 years of EMI/EMC design experience and familiarity with NASA, military and commercial standards.
3. A strong understanding of RF design, circuit theory and electromagnetic principles including: shielding, filters, magnetics, microwaves and antennas.
4. Experience reviewing schematics, PCB layouts, and mechanical designs for EMC.
5. Strong EMC troubleshooting experience including conducting root cause analysis on test failures.
6. Experience with EMI/EMC testing of components, subsystems and systems as well as test equipment familiarity (i.e. chamber, spectrum analyzers, oscilloscopes, LISNs, network analyzers, antennas).
7. Experience with 2D/3D electromagnetic modeling tools preferred.
8. Experience with spaceflight hardware design and/or test preferred.
10. Experience with designing for LEO, MEO, and GEO space environment and spacecraft charging effects preferred.
11. iNARTE certified Electromagnetic Compatibility Engineer preferred.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years