Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Staff Structural Analysis Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
As part of the Composites Analysis Team in Magna, UT, the engineer will be responsible to:
- Develop structural concepts and perform preliminary sizing using classical mechanics calculations and Finite Element Analysis (FEA) to meet stiffness, strength and other critical requirements.
- Support development of flight hardware from preliminary through detailed design, drawing release, manufacturing, integration, verification testing, and transportation.
- Lead a structural engineering team and provide analysis support to the IPT (Integrated Product Team) to ensure that the design meets all applicable requirements, design for manufacturing needs, coordinating schedule, budget and deliverables with Program Management, Leadership and the Manufacturing Value Stream.
- Provide analysis and technical support to the Customer.
- Generate Finite Element Models and perform FEA for normal modes, linear static stress, elastic stability, and distortion, as well as nonlinear assessments to predict and improve structural response as needed.
- Responsible for developing analysis techniques and methodologies for next generation composite space structures.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience with a graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering required.
- Experience with performing classical mechanics and mechanical engineering analyses.
- Experience with the Design, Analysis and Testing of Composite Materials Structures.
CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS: Ability to acquire a Security Clearance is required, which requires US Citizenship as a pre-requisite.
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in the Spacecraft industry performing Composites Structural Analysis Engineering. Knowledge of EVMS, Program Management and/or a Masters Business Administration would be a plus.
- Experience with NASTRAN FEA Software and FEMAP, Hypermesh and Patran.
- Strong analysis background in the design of aerospace structural systems, materials, load paths and behavior of structures under all applicable environments.
- Design and analysis experience with space flight hardware including spacecraft bus and instruments structures, deployables, mechanisms, components and thermal control systems, optical benches as well as mechanical ground support equipment required.
- Experience with aerospace structural construction using metals, sandwich panels, composite materials, plastics and bonded joints.
- Documentation of structural analysis activities to generate reports, technical memos and presentation packages.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are a must. Must be comfortable interacting with a wide variety of people at various levels.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years