Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Static Load Test Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Our San Diego, CA location is seeking a Test Engineer.
This is a Test Engineering position supporting the Static Load and Dynamic Load Test functions at Orbital ATK, San Diego. Each functional group performs physical and mechanical verification of spaceflight hardware, fabricated for aerospace applications.
Primary responsibilities of the position are as follows:
- From customer requirements and or program team direction, create test plans and procedures.
- Model test setups electronically. Complete test fixture designs. Setup and validation of test fixtures.
- Perform physical and/or static load tests and document into customer deliverable reports.
- Support continuous improvement and lean initiative tasks, including current state process definition, identification of non-value added activity, and future state planning.
- Represent Test function with customer engineers. Communicate with internal management and customers during Test execution.
- Expertise in test instrumentation (load, temperature, strain), test execution and troubleshooting, and electronic data acquisition.
- Proficient in 3D modeling software. (OATK uses NX - training available if experience is in another system.)
- Course work and familiarity with the behavior of space composite materials, adhesives and construction.
- Extensive experience in handling and testing composite flight hardware.
- Proficient in Microsoft office applications (Word, Access and Excel) to document results.
- Ability to read, write and interpret written instructions, blueprints, or shop drawings in English.
- Demonstrated ability to convert customer defined requirements into clear, written procedures.
- Problem solving skills utilizing superior mechanical ability, the ability to multitask, and ability to prioritize work, are required.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new skills and follow written procedures.
- Identifies opportunities for continuous improvement with a focus on customer service excellence.
- Ability to work flexible hours, overtime, and weekends as needed based on demanding manufacturing schedules.
- Must be able to work within established procedures for data control.
- Excellent documentation, organization and communication skills.
- Possesses strong interest in space composite materials science.
- Initiative, self-starter, adaptable, and high motivation for excellence.
- Ability to work under limited supervision.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excels in a team environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in an Engineering Discipline
- 2-5 years’ experience in Test Engineering and Test Lab environment.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 1-3 Years