Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Assoc Engineering Test Technician
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
This position is for a Static Load Test Technician in San Diego, CA.
The successful candidate will work with our experienced static load test team and learn to perform precision mechanical and electrical test set ups, followed by the execution of static load testing of space flight hardware.
Typical testing projects include:
- Mechanical assembly of load application and restraint mechanisms and structure;
- Installation of test instrumentaton for force, strain, and deflection;
- Execution of test per exacting procedrues and requirements;
- Documentation and report out
- Practical mechanical experience, including use of mechanical tools, torque wrenches, drilling, tapping, and metal cutting and finishing.
- High mechanical and electrical aptitude to learn the build-up of test setups with instrumentation.
- Experience in composite manufacturing, assembly, and handling of flight hardware.
- Strong math and science aptitude to learn fundamentals of static load engineering - including force, stress, strain, modulus and inertia.
- Ability or experience with crane and fork lift rigging and safety for heavy lift and placement
- Ability to read, write and interpret written instructions, blueprints, or shop drawings in English.
- Good documentation, organization and communication skills.
- Demonstrated high degree of self-discipline to follow policies and procedures.
- Ability to multitask, and prioritize work.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrates initiative, self-starter, adaptable, and highly motivated for excellence.
- Ability to work flexible hours, overtime, and weekends as needed based on demanding testing schedules.
- Must be able to travel for 1 – 2 weeks at a time to support off-site testing (upto 25% per year).
- Ability to work under limited supervision.
- Excels in a team environment.
- Ability to lift/push/pull up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to work at heights exceeding 20 feet and/or in confined spaces performing mechanical assembly / disassembly.
- Ability to be on feet for up to 9 hours each day.
- 1 - 3 years of experience in aerospace composite manufacturing.
- Minimum high school diploma, or equivalent
- Prior experience with mechanical testing and/or instrumentation.
- Prior mechanical or vocational experience with mechanical tools, torque wrenches, drilling, tapping, and metal cutting and finishing.
- Prior experience with crane and fork lift operation.
- Will consider NGIS technicians currently in Grades 4 to 6
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 1-3 Years
Education: High School/GED