Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Assoc Material Sciences Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people?s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation?s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work ? and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they?re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Our San Diego, CA location is seeking an Associate Material Sciences Engineer (also known as M&P, Materials and Processes).
Candidates for the Material Sciences Engineering position will have a variety of experience levels with a common theme of having a balance of technical knowledge and practical skills and experience.
The position will primarily provide direct process engineering support to composite manufacturing at the San Diego site with responsibilities that include technical oversight of multiple programs and acting as liaison between Materials and Process Engineering, Operations Manufacturing Engineering and design and analysis personnel.
Specific Responsibilities will include:
- Review of down-flowed engineering process requirements to ensure applicability to part type.
- Documentation and implementation, including training, of any new processes introduced.
- Establishment of ‘lessons learned’ evaluation of projects and implementation of such lessons into future programs. Development and refinement of manufacturing tools.
- Support for Cause and Corrective Action (CCA) activities.
- Design of Experiments (DOE) activities for manufacturing efficiency and quality improvement.
- Validation and qualification of new equipment.
- Failure Analysis
- Demonstrated analytical approach to problem solving and data analysis.
- Hands-on working experience with composites manufacturing processes, including hand layup and vacuum bagging preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to multitask, and prioritize work
- Excellent documentation, organization and communication skills.
- Initiative, self-starter, adaptable, and high motivation for excellence.
- Ability to work under limited supervision.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excels in a team environment.
- BS in Materials Science or related discipline
- 0-2 years of relevant industry experience (or Master’s degree)
- 0-2 years of composite technology, surface science or coatings experience preferred.
- Prior experience in an Aerospace or Space hardware manufacturing environment preferred.
Specific training and/or experience in the principles of chemistry, physics, or any of the specific domains of material science or materials engineering. Preferred degrees are in the fields of chemistry, chemical engineering, material science and material science engineering.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 0-1 Year