Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Program Manager - Development
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Our facility in Northridge, CA is seeking a Program Manager to lead development and integration of new components for a major missile program.
Key Skill Set Requirements:
- Experience as a Program Manager, Deputy Program Manager or Integrated Product Team (IPT) Leader for development of electrical subsystems and real-time embedded software in the Aerospace/Defense industry.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a cross functional integrated product team in the development phase of complex components for the U.S. Government
- Demonstrated ability to manage cost, schedule, supplier, and technical performance
- Skills in customer communication and building customer relationships
- Good understanding of supporting functions: Engineering, Operations, Mission Assurance, Configuration Management, and Supply Chain Management
- Demonstrated ability to plan, lead, and build high functioning teams
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with US Government customers
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly on the job
- Experience resolving technical, schedule, and cost problems related to the assigned program/product responsibility
- Demonstrated knowledge in electrical subsystem design to include high-speed digital circuit cards, radio frequency transmitters/receivers and associated field programmable gate array (FPGA) firmware and system-on-a-chip (SoC) real-time embedded software is highly preferred
- Basic knowledge of electrical subsystem manufacturing processes including circuit card and subassembly design for manufacturing/test, assembly operations, inspection and acceptance testing
- Demonstrated knowledge of missile/air vehicle hardware subsystems design is preferred to include basic principles of systems engineering, test and qualification
- Experience in risk management, Earned Value Management and MS Project
Experience and Education Requirements:
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related discipline. Master’s degree preferred.
Clearance: SECRET Required.
Experience: 5+ years of technical leadership experience, 4+ years of relevant program management experience.
Job Description – Roles and Responsibilities:
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Business Sector Program Managers have nine key roles in the position, each with general responsibilities, that when fulfilled comprise strategic program management. These roles and responsibilities apply to all program managers, although the degree of emphasis may change with the PM’s assigned area of responsibility.
- Leverage the existing program to win new, expanded business (actively soliciting follow-on business by making timely presentations, maintaining close customer relations, and tracking customer requirements; and transitioning business opportunities to program management)
- Strategically plan (directing program strategy development that integrates with NGIS's overall business and strategy; and participating in the business strategic planning process)
- Deliver profit
- Deliver return on investment
- Deliver return on assets
- Manage cash
- Control costs
- Manage risk
- Generate sales
- Integrate program financials with business objectives
Contract Structure and Pricing
- Recommend price (based on market, business strategy, program objectives, and cost)
- Manage contract negotiations
- Endorse final price and contract terms
- Resolve contract issues (including change notices and legal issues)
- Direct proposal preparation (to ensure it meets NGIS's business strategy, is compliant, responds to customer needs, and provides a proper base for successful negotiations and program performance)
- Accountable for application of ITAR export/import controls
- Drive technical excellence (by setting program standards, challenging threats, balancing risk, and delivering performance)
- Provide quality assurance
- Oversee the development of a program plan and critical milestones
- Meet master program plans and schedules (identifying and assessing risks, and initiating necessary corrective action)
- Represent NGIS's as a company (bringing the NGIS message to the customer; and integrating knowledge of the spectrum of NGIS capabilities with understanding of customer needs to promote NGIS)
- Represent the customer to NGIS (understanding the needs and requirements of the customer, and integrating this understanding into proposal development, program execution, and business strategy)
- Service the customer (executing the program and resolving issues in accordance with business objectives, strategy, legal requirements, regulations, contract terms, and company policies)
- Balance the interests of the customer, NGIS, and employees (ensuring stakeholder objectives are aligned)
Program Team Management
- Structure a program team (to ensure maximum performance)
- Identify supporting functional staff
- Develop subordinates, manage team personnel
- Set role and performance expectations, and provide ongoing feedback and performance appraisals
- Provide overall leadership and direction to the program team (to include coaching team members, resolving conflict, reviewing performance, and initiating corrective actions, if necessary)
- Direct the performance of program functions (such as procurement, manufacturing, quality control, and logistics)
- Manage personnel
Supplier and Subcontractor Management
- Oversight for internal subcontract managers
- Develop/review/approve subcontract Statements of Work
- Assist in identification / set-up of teaming arrangements
- Establish and clearly communicate overall program objectives, mission, vision and strategy
- Establish program priorities
- Champion company values, especially safety
- Ensure program-wide focus on safety, reliability, cost, and schedule, and adequacy of systems, procedures, and people for long-term success
- Oversee program planning and execution through applicable phases: Concept, exploration, engineering development, advanced development, production, sustainment, retirement, etc.
- Meet company and customer requirements (balancing the multiple roles and differing requirements)
- Drive timely and clearly communicated decisions and recommendations
- Generate application of six sigma and “lean” principles and tools (throughout program planning and execution)
- Challenge business impediments to excellence and continuous improvement
- Drive data-based decision making through the program
- Perform execution excellence with performance, cost and schedule control
- Perform risk mitigation, risk cost and controls
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years