Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Sr Princ Systems Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking an experienced Sr. Principal Systems Engineer to provide leadership to our Avionics and Stage controls team in our Promontory, UT offices.
Role description & Responsibilities:
The Sr. Principal Systems Engineer will serve as the LRU Project Engineer and provides overall technical logic, plan definition, management, and execution assurance via technical and project management enabling support; in particular development of project objectives, definition of phases and elements of work, CR/CN generation, performance tracking and execution assurance management and fundamentals. Position includes portions of avionics/electrical systems component engineering scope, including design, testing, and verification/certification for rocket propulsion elements. Position ensures technical integrity of the related scope is achieved within cost and schedule constraints. Selected candidate will be responsible to assure engagement of the appropriate expertise, skillsets, and resources to execute the related technical content. Also responsible for assignment of tasks and priorities to executing functional organizations with necessary content to successfully fulfill the related contract requirements. Responsible for proposal support, related scope planning, schedule management, and supplier technical oversight. Primary interfaces will be the SLS Electrical and Controls CE, the NASA customer, other technical authorities (as required), PM for budget/schedule issues, and D&A and M&P for component technical execution issue.
Major roles and responsibilities include:
- Project Engineer over manufacturing, analysis, and qualification of SLS Avionics Line Replaceable Units (LRU)
- Primary interface with the SLS Electrical and Controls CE and NASA Customer
- Regular coordination with PM for budget/schedule, DE/AE, M&P, and EEE Parts community for component technical execution.
- Regular coordination and project management of LRU subcontractor L-3 Technologies Cincinnati Electronics (Occasional travel required)
- Work closely with Quality Engineering to disposition MRB associated with Flight LRU Builds
- Proposal support, scope planning, schedule management, and supplier technical oversight
- In depth understanding of CM practices associated with major subcontractor (submittal process)
General PE functions to ensure proper execution of assigned areas including:
- Develop, Execute, and Lead the execution of the project plan – includes tasking support organizations via ETM & CM System
- Definition, organization, and management of assigned projects from conception through execution; both internally to Northrop Grumman and externally to major subcontractor
- Support for formal reviews (DCR, PRR, etc.) and close out RIDs as applicable
- Project/product design and compliance reviews meeting company standards, customer contract requirements, and all related specifications.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience related to Electrical/Avionics, analysis, testing and project engineering
- Knowledge, use and application of engineering and processing documentation (i.e., drawings, specifications, table tops, parts lists, change requests, change notices, planning, MRB)
- Working knowledge of both Analog and Digital systems; familiarity with common aerospace bus architectures (MIL-STD-1553, EIA-422)
- Excellent presentation skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Integration risk assessment skills (i.e., ability to balance between technical risk and cost)
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill in using Microsoft Office Applications including project; as well as experience with FPGA/ASIC design in a complex avionics application.
- Proficient writing skills (grammar/punctuation/spelling)
- Experience with Configuration Management and Supplier Management
- Ability to travel: Travel expectation of 10% – 25%
Skills & Qualifications:
- Ability to work independently and make logical decisions
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with ability to prioritize work and schedule
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to coordinate and work well with management, coworkers, and internal customers
- Strong problem solving skills
- Attention to detail but able to understand big picture
- Willingness to accept challenging work with positive attitude
- Flexibility to accept, learn and perform new job functions
- Committed to continuous improvement
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or Aerospace Engineering. Consideration will be given to candidates with a BS degree in other engineering disciplines with strong relevant experience
- BS degree with 10 years experience; MS degree with 7 years experience; or PhD with 5 years experience
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years