Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Sr Principal Mechanical Design Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures
We are currently seeking an experienced Sr. Principal Mechanical Design Engineer to provide leadership and talent to our Systems and Integration Design team in our Promontory, UT offices.
Role description & Responsibilities:
The Design Engineer is responsible for providing Integration Design Engineering over Rocket Motor Assembly, Igniter Design, Raceway Design, Thrust Vector Control Integration, and Mass Properties. The design engineer will also provide design engineering services on commercial rocket motor assembly projects, perform systems engineering tasks related to interface control on piece part designs, lead multi-discipline design teams, and perform peer reviews. Perform vehicle level integration tasks on pyro and range safety system, avionics integration, electrical cables and connectors, bonded attachments, and bolted designs.
- Prepare 3D NX models, mechanical & assembly drawings, and specifications in accordance with company standards.
- Support mechanical & integration design on Commercial and IR&D Projects.
- Prepare test & instrumentation drawings, test plans, reports, and perform tolerance analysis.
- Prepare trades studies and milestone review presentations.
- Prepare ICD, N2 Interaction matrices and Interface Summary Sheets.
- Prepare requirement specifications and provide verification reporting.
- Perform preliminary structural analysis
- Candidate must have a minimum of 10 years of engineering design experience.
- Knowledgeable and demonstrated experience with NX modeling
- Systems engineering and integration experience
Skills & Qualifications:
- Solid modeling experience (NX is preferred)
- Broad understanding of ballistics and grain design
- Strong knowledge of loads and environment analysis
- Structural analysis experience
- Experience with manufacturing processes
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Drafting and drawing preparation skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Detail oriented but able to understand the big picture.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (aerospace, chemical, electrical, mechanical, material sciences engineering, or physics) required with 10 years of experience, MS with 7 years of experience, or PhD with 5 years of experience.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years