Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman is currently seeking a Scientist in our offices located in Magna, Utah.
Role description & Responsibilities:
- Performs a variety of moderately complex chemical, mechanical and physical analyses on various materials including in-process testing of propellants to determine material composition and/or physical properties as required per customer specification.
- Uses moderately complex test instrumentation and computer operated data acquisition set-ups and standardization to obtain necessary test data.
- Evaluates results of chemical and physical testing data. May assist in the development and documentation of new methods, and prepares and maintains analysis logs, records, documentation, etc.
- Assists in the maintenance, repair and troubleshooting of analytical instrumentation and data acquisition equipment.
- Works with LIMS and Quality and inventory databases to track material and test results.
- Successful candidate will work with experienced chemists and technicians who operate analytical test equipment including chromatographic and spectroscopic instrumentation, particle size analyzers, viscometers, titration equipment, mechanical testing instrumentation and various other instruments and laboratory equipment. Testing will include analysis of production and subscale propellants and ingredients. Candidate will be expected to maintain a high standard of operational discipline to support clean, safe, and efficient operations.
- BS degree in Chemistry with 4 years experience or M.S & 2 years experience
- Experience, knowledge, and/or respect for energetic materials
- Preferred 1.5 years working in material research, test, or production environment
- Strong hands-on chemistry and computer aptitude. LabVIEW programming experience desirable.
- Experience using scientific instrumentation and equipment.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs
- Intermittent shift and weekend work required
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 3-5 Years