Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Princ. Electrical Antenna Engineer (RF)
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Perform analysis, design, or test of one or more complex designs, which require use of ingenuity and creativity and without detailed direction from more senior engineers. Based on generally defined problems, study design concepts and criteria to ascertain the engineering principles involved. Without detailed direction, plan, prepare, and complete the design. Evaluate completed design with more senior engineers and other technical groups and make modifications necessary to achieve a design that satisfies requirements. Develop, coordinate, and conduct the test programs required to evaluate the design.
May also oversee component supplier design, analysis, manufacture, and test. May also oversee, with senior engineer support, subsystem supplier design, analysis, manufacture, and test.
- Job Knowledge/Technical Skills - Expert understanding and application of and coaches other engineers on company electrical engineering technical standards.
Extensive technical expertise and full knowledge of other related disciplines.
Leads, prepares, and presents electrical materials during Requirements and Design Reviews and other formal program reviews.
2. Problem Solving/Innovation - Based on broadly defined problems, studies basic design concepts and criteria for complex components for electrical systems and subassemblies and applies more advanced engineering principles to develop new designs for small projects.
Applies more advanced engineering principles to develop new designs for small projects.
3.Liaison - Leads work groups to complete tasks.
Facilitates harmonious working relationships.
Anticipates internal and external customer needs and finds innovative ways to provide for those needs.
Disciplined with escalation when required.
Ability to effectively delineate appropriate technical position and willingness to stand alone in defending it while at same time evaluating opposing views for applicability.
4. Requirements Derivation/ Test Development - With supervision, determine engineering tasks required for project planning and execution
With supervision, analyze project requirements and develop detailed planning, conceptual designs.
Supports and leads the testing and/or evaluation/validation of one or more electrical components of a system or subsystem analytical model or actual system implementation.
5. Risk and Uncertainty Quantification - Perform, with supervision, risk analysis on design, analyses, and planned activities.
With supervision apply principles of uncertainty quantification to owned program, product, and planned activity.
6. Analysis and Design - With no guidance, performs analysis, design, or test of one or more complex designs, components, or functional systems.
Leads and prepares trade studies for component or system level designs.
Creates and manages changes to electrical component or system or analytical models under self direction using established guidelines. Can identify uncertainty and risk associated with model.
7. Peer Review/Oversight - Provides formal peer review of more detailed engineering designs or analyses.
8. Business Development - Supports preparation of subsystem technical proposal.
9. Involvement in national or international engineering association
Education and Experience
Requires BS in Engineering & 7 years or Masters in Engineering & 5 years or PhD & 2 years.
- Proficient with satellite shaped-reflector antenna and RF feed assembly design and analysis using CHAMP, GRASP, POS and HFSS.
- Ability to formulate and define key antenna performance characteristics to meet customer requirements
- Experience with development of space qualified antenna systems.
- Generation of key procurement and hardware development documents including performance specifications, interface control documents, test plans, procedures and statements of work
Other Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience in development of array antenna networks and feed systems.
- Experience in helical, conical and wire antenna design for low to medium power applications.
Experience with antenna range testing and data post-processing including Far-Field, Near-Field and compact range systems
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years