Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Sr. Electrical Technician (Requires Active Security Clearance)
This position requires an active secret security clearance
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
We are currently seeking an experienced Sr. Electrical Technician to join our team at our facility on the Eastern Shore of Virginia in the local vicinity of NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for performing routine, non-routine, and complex assignments involving responsibility for planning and conducting a complete project
- May train and be assisted by lower level technicians
- Work on various types of electronic equipment and related devices by performing one or a combination of the following: installing, maintaining, repairing, overhauling, troubleshooting, modifying, constructing, and testing
- Work requires practical application of technical knowledge of electronic principles, ability to determine malfunctions, and skill to put equipment in required operating condition.
- Work closely with telemetry engineers building up airborne telemetry system, including payload construction, wire harnesses, test cables for component, circuit card assembly, and deck testing
- Direct and oversee packing and unpacking of payloads and required equipment for field operations and escort payloads to the field for testing, build-up, and launch
- Participate in integration and check out of electrical systems during integration, testing, and field activities.
- Tasks will involve acceptance and qualification testing of all types of telemetry components
- Responsible for fabrication of electronic assemblies and harnesses
- Responsibilities will include operating, maintenance, upgrades and repairs to ground stations
- Fabricate wire harnesses for payload checkout, testing cables for component, circuit board and deck testing, launch support cables such as programming bus, blockhouse, and umbilical cables and flight harness and flight cables
- Assemble circuit card assemblies and test point to point wiring
- Use electronic equipment and related devices for installing, maintaining, repairing, overhauling, troubleshooting, modifying, construction, and testing
- Receive technical guidance, as required, from supervisor or higher-level technicians. Work is reviewed for specific compliance with accepted practices and work assignments
- Assignments may include the calibration of electronic and instrumentation equipment
- Perform other related duties as assigned or required
- Technical knowledge of electronic principles, and ability to use schematics in such areas as drafting, designing, equipment construction, and troubleshooting.
- Knowledge and understanding of airborne telemetry systems including wiring, installation of payload components, performance of initial payload checks, and ground station pre-launch testing and launch support
- Ability to use complex tools to perform precise work following prints, sketches, work instructions and verbal instruction
- Knowledge of a wide variety of electronic test equipment to support component / payload testing and checkout of prototype electronic instrumentation.
- Experience and operational proficiency with electronic equipment such as oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, logic analyzers, signal generators, power supplies, multi-meters, etc.
Training and Certifications in the following may be required:
Minimum Education Required
Minimum Experience Required
Additional Desired/Preferred Requirements/Responsibilities
- Perform inspection, assembly, testing, checkout, and shipping of various rocket motors, igniters, and electro-explosive devices according to written procedures.
- Responsible for inspection, acceptance, assembly, testing, and checkout of all vehicle inert hardware such as fins, tail cans, interstages, launch lugs, adapters, electro-mechanical devices, etc.
- Perform non-routine assignments required to support a complete mission project involving the transporting, assembly, checkout and launch of various rocket vehicle systems.
- Perform flight preparation and checkout of all launch vehicle hardware and systems to meet flight readiness.
- Perform safe launch vehicle and pad operations prior to and during countdowns under the direction of the launch pad supervisor.
- Use approved documentation and safety principles while performing hazardous related duties at launch sites.
- Coordinate and expedite flow of material, parts, and assemblies in accordance with production and shipping schedules or mission related deadlines
Responsible for maintaining stock records, ordering, and stocking of received supplies and maintaining inventory and status records of electronic equipment
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 3-5 Years