Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Associate Engineer - Hardware/Firmware Design
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking an Associate Engineer - Hardware/Firmware Design to provide talent to our Defense Electronics Systems (DES) group in Northridge, CA.
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people?s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation?s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work ? and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they?re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Under close direction, perform a variety of basic engineering tasks associated with the analysis, design, or testing of electronic hardware. Apply theoretical knowledge and engineering techniques to solution of engineering problems. Design and document or select commercially available equipment, coordinate design results with other design groups, evaluate the merits of the design under the direction of more senior engineers.
- Develop hardware using state of the art Xilinx and Altera FPGA development toolsets.
- Develop RTL coding using VHDL.
- Develop designs using the Mentor Graphics EDA toolset for design and simulation of circuits.
- Perform Signal Integrity analysis.
- Oversee and participate in hardware test and integration in a laboratory environment using a variety of test equipment including Oscilloscopes, Logic Analyzers, and DMMs.
- Perform presentations to effectively communicate at a detailed technical level, as well as distilling advanced concepts into fundamental principles for teammates and customers.
- Work and perform in a multi-disciplinary research and development environment.
- Evaluate engineering design concepts.
- Create test plans and procedures for a variety of circuit cards, including environmental testing.
- Develop specifications and requirements, reviewing Engineering Change Proposals, and generating formal whitepapers and failure reports.
- Support program Engineering Configuration Change Board (CCB), Corrective Action Board (CAB) and Failure Review Board (FRB) meetings as required.
- Identify opportunities for improvement based on review of failure data and supporting development and implementation of component design improvements and updates.
- Support design reviews and test activities as needed.
- Support subcontractor assessment, selection and coordination activities with respect to analog and digital needs.
Education and Experience
- BS degree in Engineering and 0-1 year of experience.
- Current/Active DoD Secret Clearance OR the ability to obtain one within a timeframe set forth by management.
- Experience in analog and digital designs including evaluation of engineering design concepts.
- Demonstrated experience (or relevant course studies) in RTL/FPGA and HW product design and development.
- Familiarity with Mentor PCB Design suite (DxDesigner, Layout, Simulation) or equivalent and related CAD tools.
- Proficient using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, Visio).
- Familiarity with digital conversion, signal processing, and digital data interface circuits.
- Familiarity with general operational amplifier, A-to-D, D-to-A, and power supply circuits.
- Must be able to design interface circuits to ensure compatibility across different signal types.
- Ability to use and collect test data using Digital Storage Oscilloscopes, Digital Multimeters, Logic Analyzers, Software Based Debugging tools, In-Circuit Emulators, RF Network Analyzers, Spectrum Analyzers, and Signal Generators.
- Ability to read and interpret military requirements, specifications, and Engineering drawings/schematics.
- Ability to study and understand complex electronics/mechanical systems.
- Must be meticulous with documentation.
- Understand and be able to show traceability to requirements and technical references.
- Familiarity with Printed Wire Board and Circuit Card Assembly processes (schematic capture, layout, fabrication, assembly) from concept through design and production
- Must be able to sustain products through end-of-life, including obsolescence management.
- Proven ability to follow company processes and procedures.
- Ability to create or review presentations, emails, white papers, trade studies, and reports for content and accuracy.
- Knowledge of programming languages including C/C++ strongly desired.
- Sound interpersonal skills and an ability to build effective working relationships with customers, coworkers, and vendors.
- Effectively communicate findings to customers and management.
- Self-starter capable of performing assigned tasks with minimal direction.
- Innovative thinker with a demonstrated ability for solving complex problems that may require ingenuity and “out of the box” ideas.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 0-1 Year