Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Princ Electrical Engr – HW-RTL Design
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking a Principal Electrical Engineer - HW-RTL Design to provide talent to our Defense Electronics Systems (DES) group in Northridge, CA.
The position is for a Hardware Design Principal Engineer supports tactical missile system development and production programs.
Key responsibilities include:
- Developing hardware using state of the art Xilinx and Altera FPGA development toolsets.
- Developing RTL coding using VHDL.
- Developing designs using the Mentor Graphics EDA toolset for design and simulation of circuits.
- Performing Signal Integrity analysis.
- Overseeing and participating in hardware test and integration in a laboratory environment using a variety of test equipment including Oscilloscopes, Logic Analyzers, and DMMs.
- Using oral and verbal presentation skills to effectively communicate at a detailed technical level, as well as distilling advanced concepts into fundamental principles for teammates and customers.
- Working and performing in a multi-disciplinary research and development environment.
- Evaluating engineering design concepts.
- Creating test plans and procedures for a variety of circuit cards, including environmental testing.
- Developing specifications and requirements, reviewing Engineering Change Proposals, and generating formal whitepapers and failure reports.
- Supporting program Engineering Configuration Change Board (CCB), Corrective Action Board (CAB) and Failure Review Board (FRB) meetings as required.
- Identifying opportunities for improvement based on review of failure data and supporting development and implementation of component design improvements and updates.
- Supporting design reviews and test activities as needed.
- Supporting subcontractor assessment, selection and coordination activities with respect to analog and digital needs.
Experience and Skill Requirements:
- Must have a BS and 7+ years of experience, or MS and 5+ years of experience in analog and digital designs including evaluation of engineering design concepts.
- Must hold an active DoD Secret Clearance.
- Must have a minimum 5+ years of experience in RTL/FPGA and HW product design and development.
- Must be familiar with Mentor PCB Design suite (DxDesigner, Layout, Simulation) and related CAD tools.
- Must be familiar with and proficient using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, Visio).
- Must have digital conversion, signal processing, and digital data interface experience.
- Must be familiar with general operational amplifier, A-to-D, D-to-A, and power supply circuits.
- Must be able to design interface circuits to ensure compatibility across different signal types.
- Must have the ability to follow company processes and procedures
- Must have the ability to use and collect test data using Digital Storage Oscilloscopes, Digital Multimeters, Logic Analyzers, Software Based Debugging tools, In-Circuit Emulators, RF Network Analyzers, Spectrum Analyzers, and Signal Generators.
- Must be able to read and interpret military requirements, specifications, and Engineering drawings/schematics.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and an ability to build effective working relationships with customers, coworkers, and vendors.
- Must be able to effectively communicate findings to customers and management.
- Must be a self-starter capable of performing assigned tasks with minimal direction.
- Must be an innovative thinker with a demonstrated ability for solving complex problems that may require ingenuity and “out of the box” ideas.
- Must be able to work in an inter-disciplinary functional team.
- Must be able to study and understand complex electronics/mechanical systems
- Must be meticulous with documentation.
- Must understand and be able to show traceability to requirements and technical references.
- Must be able to create or review presentations, emails, white papers, trade studies, and reports for content and accuracy.
- Must be familiar with Printed Wire Board and Circuit Card Assembly processes (schematic capture, layout, fabrication, assembly) from concept through design and production
- Must be able to sustain products through end-of-life, including obsolescence management.
- Knowledge of programming languages including C/C++ strongly desired.
- Interpretation of RF Test data and radiation patterns desired.
- Experience in manufacturing support, characterization, and test desired.
- Experience in anti-tamper and cybersecurity implementations also a plus.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years