Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Sr Principal Mechanical Fuze Design Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Sr. Principal Mechanical Fuze Design Engineer
Our Missile Products Division in Plymouth, MN has an excellent opportunity for a Mechanical Fuze Design Engineer whose duties and required experience are described below.
As a Mechanical Fuze Design Engineer in the Missile Products Division, your responsibilities will be as a technical subject matter expert and team leader on various fuze development programs, and to provide design support to fuze programs already in production. You will work with other engineers, technicians, program managers and administrative personnel to accomplish your objectives. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Key technical contributor and subject matter expert in the area of mechanical fuzing on development programs, managing assigned responsibilities and directing the work of other engineers, technicians, and administrative personnel to accomplish program goals.
- Programs can include bomb fuzes, artillery fuzes, mortar fuzes, missile fuzes, and fuzes associated with other delivery platforms.
• Conduct design trade studies to select the best possible design solution, taking into account factors including, but not limited to, system performance and functionality, material selection, strength, weight, packaging, manufacturability and cost.
• Three dimensional mechanical modeling (CAD - computer aided design).
• Presentation of assigned work at program technical reviews and in written technical reports.
• Management of cost and schedule for assigned projects.
• Preparation and planning of cost estimates and written technical proposals.
• Responsible for the design, fabrication and testing of fuze components and assemblies.
• Responsible for the analysis of the fuze design to meet functional requirements (structural integrity, thermal protection, environmental protection, etc.)
• Compilation and analysis of test data with comparison to estimated performance predictions.
• Provide design support to fuze programs that are in the production phase.
• BS in Engineering is required, preferably Mechanical or Aerospace.
• Ten or more years of related military fuze mechanical design experience.
• Strong computer aided design (CAD) skills, preferably with PTC Creo (Pro-E) or SOLIDWORKS.
• Possess a strong understanding of finite element analysis codes such as ANSYS or ABAQUS for structural analysis and thermal analysis of designs.
• Strong mechanical skills and exposure to ANSI Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T).
• Strong communication skills, verbal and written.
• Knowledge of associated fuze component manufacturing processes is desired to including, but not limited to, machining, additive manufacturing, die casting and injection molding.
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment directing the work of others.
• Ability to multitask and organize/prioritize job assignments in a rapidly changing, short turn-around environment.
• Understanding of Six Sigma disciplines, design for assembly / design for manufacturing (DFA/DFM).
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point, Project).
• Ability to travel (approximately 8 to 12 times per year to meet with customers and suppliers).
• Security regulations require that the individual must be a U.S. citizen and must have the ability to obtain a DoD security clearance to a level of SECRET.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years