Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman is currently seeking an experienced Engineering Technician to join our Mechanical and Chemical Test Services team at Promontory, UT.
The Engineering Technician is responsible for performing a wide variety of chemical and physical analyses on various inert and energetic materials to assess acceptability against defined requirements. Testing ranges from traditional mechanical evaluations to advanced analytical chemistry techniques to physical property evaluations. Successful candidate will work with experienced chemists and technicians who operate analytical test equipment including chromatographic and spectroscopic instrumentation, viscometers, titrators, particle size analyzers, mechanical testing instrumentation, and various other instruments and laboratory equipment. A fast paced laboratory environment offers the flexibility to learn new skill sets of interest while developing expertise in specific lab areas.
- Perform burn rate, viscosity, and other chemical and physical properties testing on propellants
- Fabricate specimens and perform testing on inert materials such as rubber, composites, and adhesives
- Perform limited maintenance, repair, troubleshooting and calibration of instruments and processes
- Maintain laboratory infrastructure including sample preparation and equipment set-ups and breakdown
- Maintain neat and accurate records to company standards
- Work with LIMS, Quality, and inventory databases to track material and test results
- Candidate will be expected to maintain a high standard of operational discipline to support clean, safe, and efficient operations
- Candidate must have a minimum of 2 years of related experience
- Some experience with use of scientific instrumentation and equipment is required
- Basic computer and software competencies are required
- Flexibility to occasionally work swing shift and weekends when required
· A candidate with 2-4 years with direct experience working in a laboratory environment with chemical or mechanical testing is preferable
· Experience with handling and disposal of energetic materials
Skills & Qualifications:
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Excellent time management and organizational skills
· Strong hands-on work ethic and can-do attitude
· Demonstrated attention to detail
· Must be disciplined to follow detailed instructions and comply to procedures
· Candidate must have an Associate’s Degree or 2 years of college and working towards a Bachelor’s degree
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 1-3 Years