Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Principal Project Engineer - Controls Design
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman is currently seeking an experienced Principal Project Engineer – Controls Design for our offices in Mesa, AZ.
This Project Engineering position is for an engineering leadership role on medium caliber gun system programs within the Armament Systems Division. As part of the Systems Engineering group, the Project Engineer coordinates planning, organization, implementation, integration and completion of assigned engineering projects. This position is located in Mesa, Arizona.
The Project Engineering position carries the following set of primary responsibilities:
- Accountable to the Sr. Systems Engineering Manager and Program Managers for meeting technical performance measures, cost targets, and schedule requirements on assigned engineering projects.
- Provides technical oversight and project leadership to the assigned integrated program team; sets engineering work direction for other engineers, technicians and administrative personnel and assigns tasks based on project objectives.
- Performs planning and execution of gun controls system development and testing projects, including voice of the customer techniques, requirements development and management, gun system definition, verification and validation, and risk management to the design of gun systems.
- Ensures pertinent design factors such as contractual, environmental, cost, schedule, technical performance, system integration, producibility, interchangeability, and material requirements are considered during development and program execution.
- Leads failure investigations and associated corrective actions.
- Works with systems, design, mechanical, electrical, software, manufacturing and quality engineers through the development process and ensures timely flow of information among and between engineering team members.
- Coordinates with Aftermarket Services team to support fielded systems and ensures cross-functional coordination to deliver outstanding customer service.
- Supports Program Manager as a control account manager to ensure accurate schedule and cost tracking.
- Presents work products at program reviews, proposals, or other project meetings.
- Prepares and plans cost estimates and written technical proposals.
- Acts as a technical interface to external customers, and forms working relationships with representatives of external technical organizations.
- Develops technical relationships with vendors and suppliers, in coordination with subcontracts management and quality functions, to facilitate technical flow-down and understanding of requirements, testing, and process control.
- Supports manufacturing trade studies and early supplier involvement.
- Shares knowledge with other engineers.
- Supports and leads Orbital ATK continuous improvement initiatives within the overall engineering department.
- BS in Mechanical, Electrical or Aerospace Engineering
- At Least 7 years of design and development experience in the defense or aerospace industries.
- At least 5 years of design and development experience involving mechanical systems with electronic controls and software.
- 3+ years project or program leadership.
- Design experience with safety critical control systems is highly desired
- Detailed Electrical design experience with system controllers is highly desired
- Experience in product development projects and sustainment of legacy programs for complex aerospace or defense systems.
- Familiarity with mechanical and electrical engineering processes and other specialty engineering activities within the product development process.
- Experience writing statements of work and estimating project scope.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in achieving results through understanding and management of internal processes and customer/supplier relationships.
- Knowledge of operations of upstream process inputs (Lead System Integrators, Business Development, Contracts, Pricing, Program Management, Project Engineering, and Systems Engineering).
- Knowledge of operations of downstream process customers (both internal and external: Modeling & Simulation, Configuration Management, Manufacturing Engineering, Manufacturing Operations, Assembly, Test, System Verification & Validation, Integrated Logistics Support, and End User).
- Skilled in working with Microsoft Office applications.
- Understanding of Six Sigma disciplines, design for assembly / design for manufacturing (DFA/DFM) is preferred.
- Strong oral and written communication skills with ability to focus on multiple projects and deliver status on risk areas and required actions.
- Demonstrated strength in technical writing
- Knowledge of requirements writing, decomposition, FMEAs, verification and validation, and risk analysis.
- Experience in performing failure analysis and driving implementation of robust corrective action
- Ability to scope and generate product test plans, lead tests as Test Engineer and generate comprehensive test reports for internal and external customer distribution.
- Demonstrated experience working with customers to ensure project success.
- U.S. Citizen and be able to obtain a DoD Secret Clearance
- Position may require domestic and international travel, <15%
- Demonstrated project management skills and techniques including work breakdown structures, integrated master scheduling and earned value management.
- Experience with the software design cycle and requirements standards DO178, DO254 and / or MIL-STD-882
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years