Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman is currently seeking an experienced Manufacturing Engineer for our offices in Mesa, AZ.
This Engineering position is for an entry level manufacturing engineering role on medium caliber gun system programs within the Armament Systems Division. The manufacturing engineer works as a liaison to the gun manufacturing operation and assembly department and well as participating in improvement of manufacturing process, capabilities and assisting with development of the supply base.
The manufacturing engineering position carries the following set of primary responsibilities:
- Supports manufacturing operations in resolution of issues in assembly and test
- Writes assembly and test procedures
- Supports material review board (MRB) activities including disposition of discrepant hardware and root cause / corrective action
- Participates on engineering integrated products team to identify and incorporate manufacturing process, assembly process, tooling or test improvements
- Participates on supplier development teams to integrate new suppliers and resolve technical issues with the existing supply base
- Works with mechanical design engineers to optimize gun and support equipment designs
- BS in Manufacturing Engineering or Mechanical Engineering
- One – Two years of industry experience is preferred, but not required
- Mechanical design or hands-on experience with complex gear trains, cams, springs, clutches, machined components, welded structures, electric motors and solenoids is preferred.
- Familiarity with mechanical and electrical engineering processes and other specialty engineering activities within the product development process.
- Familiarity with manufacturing processes and materials selection
- Demonstrated effectiveness in achieving results through understanding and management of internal processes and relationships
- Knowledge or experience in manufacturing operations is preferred
- Skilled in working with Microsoft Office applications.
- Understanding of Six Sigma disciplines, design for assembly / design for manufacturing (DFA/DFM) is preferred.
- Strong oral and written communication skills with ability to focus on multiple projects and deliver status on risk areas and required actions.
- Demonstrated strength in technical writing
- Experience in performing failure analysis and driving implementation of robust corrective action is preferred
- Ability to scope and generate product test plans and procedures.
- Familiarity with computer aided design (CAD) software and analysis tools (FEA)
- Understanding of GD&T
- Self-starter, able to work autonomously
- Ability to balance work priorities and meet customer expectations
- U.S. Citizen and be able to obtain a DoD Secret Clearance
- Position may require domestic and international travel, <15%
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 1-3 Years