Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Principal Electrical Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman is seeking a Principal Electrical Engineer for our location in Plymouth, MN.
This position requires experience in applying Electrical Engineering practices to all phases of military programs, including:
- Performs research, design, and development in such areas as power generation, motor control, power conditioning electronics, analog circuit design, and other general electrical engineering design functions.
- Applies research to the planning, design, development, simulation and testing of electrical circuits for use in military applications per required specifications (MIL-STD-461, MIL-STD-331, MIL-STD-810, etc).
- Develops specifications for and performs selection of components for use in electrical circuits for military applications. Utilizes electrical CAD tools such as Mentor System Vision for circuit performance prediction in aid of circuit development.
- Understands Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) disciplines; including design for assembly / design for manufacturing (DFA/DFM).
- Understands Electromagnetic Environmental Effects (E3) assessments and provides recommendations for achieving E3 compliance with requirements such as MIL-STD-461.
- Lead technical white papers, engineering proposals, trade analyses and internal research and development efforts.
- Oversees board layout and provides pertinent design factors for first pass success on circuit realization.
- Possess strong analytical skills and the ability organize/prioritize job assignments and tasks.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills to work effectively within a development team to understand system level interdependencies that impact circuit requirements and design constraints.
- An active learner of new design techniques and technologies.
- Requires a minimum BSEE with 10+ years or an MSEE with 7+ years from an accredited college.
- Experience creating and modeling electrical schematics, evaluate design robustness by simulation and lab testing. Preferably experience with Mentor Graphics design and simulation tools.
- Ability to evaluate and select components that meet the applicable requirements.
- Design experience in the areas of power conditioning, PWB/CCA design and evaluation, electronics packaging, processors and FPGAs.
- Functional knowledge of design of alternators, magnetics, power generation, power conditioning, and analog circuit design.
- Prefer experience in developing high reliability electronics to meet military environments such as extreme temperature conditions, high G shock loads, vibration, and extended storage times.
- Position may require occasional travel to meet with various customers, in both government and industry, and to interface with suppliers.
- Active DoD secret clearance preferred, or must be able to obtain a DoD Secret Clearance.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively to cross functional team members.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced, rapidly changing, short turn-around environment.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 8-10 Years