Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Director, Engineering- Chief Engineer Antares Program
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people?s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation?s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work ? and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they?re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is looking for an experienced Chief Engineer for the Launch Vehicle Division to support the Antares Program. This position will be located in Dulles, VA or Chandler, AZ.
The Antares Chief Engineer serves as the primary technical authority for the Antares launch vehicle, leading resolution of significant technical issues, chairing the program configuration control board, conducting trade studies related to vehicle upgrades and modifications, and supporting launch operations on console to ensure technical readiness. The chief engineer is the primary technical interface for both external and internal customers, leads or supports new business initiatives and technical proposals, and ensures that the most cost-effective technical solutions are implemented effectively. The ideal candidate will have broad knowledge regarding space launch vehicle technologies and operations, including propulsion systems, avionics and advanced structures. Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the demonstrated ability to lead multidisciplinary teams in resolving complex problems are essential.
Provides leadership to an engineering department and is responsible for the development of all products across a division. This includes multiple functional specialties within the department. Accountable for the technical design excellence of multiple products and the overhead costs of the department. Drives product development through efficient processes, domain technical expertise, timely decision making, personnel development, effective resource management and embracing a continuous improvement philosophy. Serve as a role model supporting the division's mission and values.
- Provides guidance, direction, and performance feedback to managers and staff engineers on a broad range of difficult challenges resulting in significant impact to the business.
- Assess and improve processes, tools, documentation and management techniques to maximize engineering process execution excellence and quality in partnership with other facets of the organization. Lead by example in the use of strategy deployment, kaizen, problem solving, and lessons learned. Support Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems PES initiatives and lead continuous improvement activities within the overall engineering department. Experienced in the application of APQP, Six Sigma techniques.
- Coach, support, and motivate to ensure a high performing engineering team. Create and maintain development and succession plans for managers and staff engineers. Assign and approve recruiting efforts to maintain team capabilities.
- Ensure hiring plans and staff development are aligned to overall capability and capacity strategy. Manage department budgets, schedules and resources to effectively meet business goals.
- Support technology growth in innovation identification, roadmap development, and proposal preparation. Ensure alignment with other departments related to technology development efforts.
- Set and promote high standards for quality and safety. Maintains Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems engineering process and drives technical excellence by ensuring department output meets technical standards. Identifies and assigns improvements needed at the department level.
- Maintains knowledge of engineering best practices and technology innovations by attending industry events and educational activities. Serves as an author or independent reviewer in select product development process or technology areas.
- Represent and communicate Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems technical capabilities and technologies to internal and external customers. Present deliverables at program technical reviews, proposal reviews, or other technical meetings.
- Lead performance and compensation management activities for several teams within a department or a complete department.
- Assign preparation, review, and approval of cost estimates and written technical proposals. Manage cost and schedule for independent research or process improvement projects assigned to your teams or department.
Experience in leading cross-functional project teams or engineering teams. Experience leading and developing staff, including performance and compensation management, proven mentoring and coaching skills, managing conflict and administering performance improvement plans as needed.
Education and Experience
Requires a B.S.in Engineering & 20 years or Masters in Engineering & 15 years or PhD in Engineering & 10 years.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years