Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Senior Design Engineer
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems (formerly Orbital ATK) is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission ? whether it?s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world?s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation?s largest manufacturer of ammunition. United in pride and shared goals, Northrop Grumman employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Northrop Grumman is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Our Space Components Division’s Beltsville, MD location is seeking an experienced Senior Design Engineer to join our team.
Senior Design Engineer
Integrated Thermal Systems (ITS) System Design Lead supporting IRAD, new business, value stream product design and manufacturing engineering in a lean environment. In addition to being able to lead ITS system design efforts, knowledge of and familiarity with Lean Enterprise System Engineering (LESE), Visual Management Systems (VMS), Kaizen, 5S, and the Autonomous Manufacturing Organization (AMO) concepts are desired. Performance measurement for this position’s contribution to the ITS team’s continuous lean enterprise transformation process improvement efforts is conducted using the Safety, Quality, Delivery, Employee Engagement, and Cost (SQDEC) lean framework.
- Contributes to the design of major Integrated Thermal Systems components or major portions of a functional system to develop or improve products and facilitate manufacturing operations.
- Utilizes computer-aided design (CAD) equipment, develops basic data and makes preliminary layouts, sketches and notes necessary to present design proposals to internal and external customers.
- Creates layouts and drawings of complex assemblies and details parts of devices, mechanisms, and structures.
- Investigates pertinent design factors such as ease of manufacture, availability of materials and equipment, interchangeability, strength-weight efficiency, and contractual specification requirements and cost.
- Checks completed layouts and drawings for clarity, completeness, conformity to standards, procedures, specifications, and accuracy of calculations and dimensioning.
- Identifies design errors, omissions, and other deficiencies, and recommends revisions and/or improvements in design layout to fellow responsible engineers or designers.
- Supports development of technical solutions to complex problems which require regular use of ingenuity and creativity.
- Applies current technology and aids in the development of new technologies.
- Interacts with senior internal and external personnel on significant technical matters often requiring coordination between organizations.
- CAD solid modeling in Pro-E and drafting experience required
- Experience with Teamcenter a plus
- Experienced with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to clearly present technical information
- Strong customer service skills
- Able to work seated/standing at a desk in five hour increments.
- Requires repetitive arm, hand, and wrist movements in five hour increments.
- Occasionally lift up to 25 pounds.
- BS in Systems Engineering and 7 years minimum of relevant industry experience required or Masters in Systems Engineering and 5 years minimum of relevant industry experience required
Northrop Grumman is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products – and your ideas – into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you’ll be amazed at what you can do!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years