Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Associate Aerospace Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking an Associate Aerospace Engineer (Guidance, Navigation, Control, Tracking, and Aerodynamics) in Northridge CA.
Use basic knowledge of vehicle dynamics, aerodynamics, propulsion, classical / modern control and estimation theory to support routine aerospace engineering tasks. Work under specific detail direction from project lead and senior engineer. Apply defined engineering principle, industry standard, company process and procedure to support program objectives and customer requirements.
- Support mesh model generation from Outer Mold Line (OML) for aero prediction code, e.g., computational fluid dynamics (CFD). Support data collection from CFD and Wind Tunnel test, and buildup of Aerodynamics database to be used by 6 degree-of-freedom (DOF) simulation.
- Support sensitivity study and modeling of targeting/navigation sensors and propulsion/actuation systems for high-fidelity multiple degree-of-freedom flight vehicle non-linear dynamics simulation.
- Collect and analyze Guidance, Navigation, Flight Control, and Target Tracking (GNC / T) performance data from modeling & simulation, ground test, flight tests. Support preparation of reports for various design reviews and test readiness reviews.
Required Education and Experience
- BS in Engineering & 1 year of relevant experience
- Active DOD Secret Security Clearance
- Demonstrated understanding of the following technical areas:
- Flight control system algorithm development and analysis
- Control actuator system (CAS) modeling, testing ,and specification
- Navigation system algorithm development and analysis
- Navigation sensor modeling, testing, and specification
- Target State Estimation, Target Geolocating, Target Filter, Track File Manager
- Targeting sensor modeling, testing, and specification
- Modeling vehicle dynamics, aerodynamics, mass properties, navigation sensors, targeting sensors, propulsion and CAS in 6 DOF simulation with ECI / ECEF / Geodetic / NED / DCD / Body coordinate frames
- Demonstrate capability in
- Running Monte Carlo non-linear vehicle dynamics simulation
- Analyzing CFD and Wind Tunnel test data
- Matlab, Simulink, C++
Preferred Education and Experience
- Understanding of
- Software development process
- Configuration management
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: 25-50%
Years of Experience: 0-1 Year