Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Principal Aerospace Engineer (Guidance, Navigation, Control, and Tracking)
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking a Principal Aerospace Engineer (Guidance, Navigation, Control, and Tracking) in Northridge CA. Relocation assistance, while not guaranteed, may be available.
Use general knowledge of vehicle dynamics, aerodynamics, propulsion, classical/modern control and estimation theory to conduct difficult aerospace engineering tasks. Work under general direction from program manager and senior engineer. Collaborate with others to determine best means to achieve objectives. Plan and conduct aerospace engineering work that includes evaluation, selection and adaptation or modification of standard techniques, procedures and criteria.
- Create and/or modify high-fidelity multiple degree-of-freedom (DOF) non-linear Monte Carlo simulation with the following models: vehicle flight dynamics, navigation sensor, target dynamics, targeting sensor, propulsion system, control actuator system (CAS), wind, sea state, terrain
- In the subsystems of Missile Guidance, Navigation, Flight Control and Target Tracking:
- Algorithm design, development, and implementation
- Participate and support subsystem integration and test
- Analyze test results from 6 DOF simulation, Processor-in-the-Loop simulation, Hardware-in-the-Loop simulation, ground test, Captive Carry flight test and Launch
- Verify subsystem performance meets requirements
- Design test matrix for CFD and/or Wind Tunnel test. Evaluate the test results.
- Attend and present at various design reviews and test readiness reviews.
Required Education and Experience
- BS in Engineering & 7 years of relevant experience; or Masters in Engineering & 5 years of relevant experience; or PhD in Engineering & 2 years of relevant experience.
- Active DOD Secret Security Clearance.
- Demonstrate understanding of at least two of the four technical fields below:
- Guidance – Basic/Expanded Guidance Law, Impact of targeting sensors to Guidance, Measure of Performance for Guidance
- Control – Autopilot/Flight Control architecture, Aerodynamic database, CAS, Impact of Navigation sensors to Autopilot, Measure of Performance for Autopilot
- Navigation - Own-Ship State Estimation, GPS aided Inertial Navigation System, Strap-down Navigation, Multi-Sensor Data Fusion, Navigation Sensors, Measure of Performance for Navigation
- Tracking - Target State Estimation, Track File Manager, Multi-Target Tracking, Angle-Only Tracking, Geo-Locating, Multi-Sensor Data Fusion, Targeting Sensors, Measure of Performance for Target Tracking
- Demonstrate capability in:
- Modeling vehicle dynamics, aerodynamics, navigation sensors, targeting sensors, propulsion and CAS in 6 DOF simulation with ECI/ECEF/Geodetic/NED coordinate frames
- Collaborate in flight vehicle system development.
- Matlab, Simulink, C++
Preferred Education and Experience
- Understanding of
- Software development process
- Configuration management
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years