Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Senior Principal Systems Engineer -Propulsion
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking a Senior Propulsion Systems Engineer to provide talent to our Defense Electronics Systems (DES) group in Northridge, CA.
The Propulsion Systems Engineer Architect will support rocket motor design, development and acquisition for a tactical missile development program. The position requires strong systems engineering and systems design for solid rocket, ramjet/scramjet, and turbojet motors for tactical missile systems. Excellent communications and technical management skills required, as it will involve direct interface with customers and suppliers. The Propulsion Systems Engineer provides technical expertise and oversight of subcontractors. The Propulsion Systems Engineer provides technical expertise for requirements, product development, integration, performance assessment and verification of propulsion needs for tactical missile systems. The Propulsion Systems Engineer provides trade studies and analysis to recommend proper courses of action taking into account identified risks, requirements, budgetary constraints, and program schedules.
- BS, Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering or equivalent required
- MS, Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering desired
- 8-10 years minimum in aerospace/defense industry
- 5-6 years of relevant experience in propulsion engineering for air vehicles; with particular background in solid rocket motor technology
- Experience in requirements generation, design and analysis, development, integration, and testing of propulsion systems for military applications
- Experience with weapon systems or other air vehicles
- Experience leading and advising DoD customers on propulsion systems
- Experience with modeling and simulation of propulsion systems
- Familiarity with propulsion system development and testing
- Active DoD Secret Security clearance
- Project management experience
Desired Experience and Skills:
- Missile system design and product development
- System performance and design analysis
- Aerodynamics and thermal analysis, CFD, inlet and nozzle design
- Propellant design and chemistry
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years