Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Sr. Principal Systems Design Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people?s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation?s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work ? and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they?re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking a Senior Principal Systems Design Engineer in our Northridge, CA facility. Relocation assistance, while not guaranteed, may be available.
Create and manage system requirements, specifications and the requirements verification data base. Negotiate requirements with the customer. Plan the verification program. Develop CONOPS. Perform System Analysis. Implement changes to system and subsystem architecture models and run existing models and simulations to assess system performance.
- Senior Principle Systems Engineer and key technical contributor for systems development for tactical missile systems. Key responsibilities include:
- Vehicle Conceptual Design – Customer needs and solutions exploration for vehicle sizing and design space exploration, early vehicle shaping and sizing (OML lofting), internal vehicle configuration layouts and modelling.
- Air vehicle mechanical architecture; mechanical systems, subsystems, and mechanisms
- Vehicle Configuration Management – Maintain traceability of the mechanical airframe description and vehicle configuration description to requirements, to configuration baseline freezes, and for general vehicle configuration control, management, and tracking of physical characteristics of vehicle configurations (CAD models for OML and for packaging and internal layouts, mass properties, etc.)
- Structural analysis and Mechanical performance verification and management
- Mechanical interface definition, design and management
- Preparation and presentation of mechanical configuration information to customers via program interchange meetings, program reports, white papers, and proposals
Required Education and Experience
- Current/Active Secret clearance.
- Must have a Bachelor's degree in an Engineering discipline.
- 12-18 years’ experience in systems and hi-tech product development.
- Background in aerospace systems; basic understanding of aircraft systems, missile systems, GNC, warheads, survivability, and their design drivers.
- SME in mechanical systems design and development for air vehicles.
- Well-versed, skilled and disciplined in system engineering processes.
- Multi-disciplinary engineering skills beyond mechanical: aerodynamics, GNC, propulsion.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Current/active Top Secret clearance.
- Master's degree in Engineering disciplin.e
- Familiar with multi-disciplinary optimization methods, analysis, and tools sets.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: 25-50%
Years of Experience: +10 Years