Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Princ Aerospace Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people?s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation?s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work ? and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they?re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Use general knowledge of vehicle dynamics, aerodynamics, propulsion, classical/modern control and estimation theory to conduct difficult aerospace engineering tasks. Work under general direction from program manager and senior engineer. Collaborate with others to determine best means to achieve objectives. Plan and conduct aerospace engineering work that includes evaluation, selection and adaptation or modification of standard techniques, procedures and criteria.
Lead team of engineers with the development of 6DOF aero models, vehicle loads models, launch platform environments, and other associated aerodynamic related analyses. Requires experience in planning and conducting wind tunnel tests, CFD modeling techniques, vehicle performance and stability/control analyses. Provide solution paths for challenging aerodynamic issues to ensure uninterrupted technical support.
Capable of interfacing with program and customer technical teams and presenting CDR level reviews. Ability to track and manage an on-time task delivery schedule to keep in line with program key milestone objective dates.
- Design Guidance algorithm: Guidance Law, Trajectory Optimization, Flight Vehicle Autonomy; Navigation algorithm: Initial Alignment, Strapdown Propagation, INS filter, Multi-Sensor Data Fusion; Flight Control algorithm: Trim Point Selection, LTI Trim and Maneuver Analysis, Non-linear Dynamic Analysis; Tracking algorithm: Angle Only Tracking, Maneuvering Target Tracking, Multi-Target Tracking, Track File Manager. Verify all performance.
- Design test matrix for CFD or Wind Tunnel. Conduct CFD and Wind Tunnel tests. Evaluate test results. Verify aerodynamic coefficient table and model in the simulation.
- Architect high-fidelity multiple degree-of-freedom flight/orbital mechanics and vehicle dynamics simulation; modeling of navigation sensors in the Monte Carlo simulation; target dynamics, sea state, wind and terrain modeling in the simulation. Evaluate simulation output versus actual test data.
- Architect modeling of targeting sensors in the Monte Carlo simulation. Evaluate simulation output versus actual targeting sensors' output.
- Architect flight vehicle system conceptual designs and modeling & simulation for trade studies, initial requirements definition, and contribute to proposal efforts.
- Architect propulsion systems including electric, rocket, air-breathing and attitude control thruster. Evaluate simulation output versus actual test data.
- Architect modeling of actuation systems as well as design of test equipment to demonstrate actuation system performance meet requirement.
Education and Experience
Requires BS in Engineering & 7 years or Masters in Engineering & 5 years or PhD & 2 years.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years