Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Sr Principal Reliability Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking a Sr Principal Reliability, Maintainability & Testability Engineer to provide talent to our Defense Electronics Systems (DES) group in Northridge, CA.
Role description & Responsibilities:
Sr Principal Reliability, Maintainability & Testability Engineer for tactical missile system development and production programs.
Key responsibilities include:
- Develops, coordinates and conducts technical reliability, maintainability and testability studies and evaluations of engineering design concepts
- Analyzes preliminary plans and develops reliability and maintainability engineering programs to achieve company, customer and governmental agency reliability and maintainability objectives.
- Develops reliability analyses (e.g. reliability predictions, FMECAs, Fault Tree), reviews Engineering Change Proposals, and generates formal whitepapers and failure reports.
- Develops reliability program growth plans and conducts reliability growth analysis.
- Develops maintainability analyses (e.g. mean time to repair (MTTR), maintenance task analysis)
- Supports program Engineering Configuration Change Board (CCB), Corrective Action Board (CAB) and Failure Review Boards (FRB), as required.
- Identifies opportunities for improvement based on review of failure data and supports development and implementation of system design improvements.
- Identifies Failure Reporting and Corrective Action System (FRACAS) trends to identify and prioritize failure modes to investigate for corrective actions.
- Supports design reviews and test activities, as needed.
- Supports subcontractor evaluation, selection and coordination activities with respect to reliability and maintainability needs.
Experience and Skill Requirements:
- Minimum 10 years of experience in military or commercial airborne systems and hi-tech product development.
- Minimum B.S. engineering degree.
- Strong electrical background with a good mechanical understanding.
- Able to obtain a secret clearance. An active DoD Secret Clearance a plus.
- Knowledge of Reliability and Maintainability Engineering design practices.
- Experience conducting Reliability efforts and testing and verification to include experience with performing reliability predictions, FMECA (failure mode, effects, and criticality analysis), and fault tree analysis.
- Experience with Windchill Quality Solutions Reliability software tool or equivalent tool.
- Experience with reliability program growth plans, and reliability growth analysis/growth curves.
- Experience with RAM Scoring.
- Experience with reliability FRACAS (failure reporting, analysis, and corrective action system) and data mining.
- Knowledge and experience with statistical concepts and analysis.
- Ability to read and interpret Engineering drawings/schematics.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to build effective working relationships are a must.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, technical writing experience, and an ability to perform oral presentations in front of large groups.
- Ability to communicate findings to customers and management.
- Self-starter capable of performing assigned tasks with very little or no direction.
- Analytical thinker with a demonstrated ability of solving complex problems which require ingenuity and innovation.
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams.
- Knowledge of System Safety engineering principles and the interrelationship with Reliability.
- Human Factors Engineering knowledge.
- Familiarity and ability to model and evaluate various Military Systems for Reliability Growth and Test Planning.
- Ability to review presentations, emails, white papers, trade studies, and reports for content and accuracy.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years